Head-Fi Jargon FAQ
Mar 11, 2007 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Slaughter

1000+ Head-Fier
Nice idea. There was already a thread started for headphone slang, such as warm, forward, sibilance, ect.... maybe you could link to it, or copy it over to this thread.

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 59
Very nice.

Additions:

Hybrid amps, which use a combination of tubes and solidstate. (Of course you know that.)

And a gripe:

The font is too smal for my old eyes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 59
sorry, i was editing the manufacturers in alphabetical order and forgot to add Alessandro back. you think i'd include the M-Audio and ACS IEMs and forget Alessandro?
wink.gif

and i'm definitely still missing a lot of headphone/amp manufacturers, this is by no means supposed to be a finished product. it'll be in a much better format later, with images and color!

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 59
for IEM's, not all IEM's completely block out sound. The V-moda vibes are an example. Maybe a better wording would be changing the phrase
"They are inserted directly into the ear canal, blocking out external sounds"
to
"They are inserted directly into the ear canal, possibly blocking out external sounds depending on design."

Other words you may want to include: extension (bass, highs), ear bud, sound stage, single ended, balanced output, line out, decibel, attenuation, microphonics, sampling rate, jitter, veil
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 59
Here's a definition of a balanced armature:

Consists of one armature placed between two magnets; a coil of wire also surrounds (but doesn't touch!) the armature. Varing current in the coil creates a varying magnetic flux, which causes movement of the armature. The armature is attached by a drive rod to a diaphram which radiates sound.

Here's a diagram:

Mar 11, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not see "Too Extreme" in your terminology section.
plainface.gif

i'll add that to the terminology section after i add in Wadia to the source section.

also, how does this sound: one half of the post is jargon, while the other half is manufacturers (both in alphabetical order)? i could include DIY jargon in the first half and DIY designers under manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back