"Headphone Amplifier With DAC" - iPhone Lightning to Headphone Jack
Jan 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

Scotty141

Head-Fier
I'm not an audiophile and have no idea about terminology, so apologies for the title if it's incorrect.

However, I found this online after some random searching on the Internet and was wondering what you guys thought of it, since you all seem to know your audio jargon. It's in Japanese so here is the translation link.

This is what it looks like, and it seems to look pretty good if it'll let me use my soon-to-arrive CIEMs with my iPhone 6 to listen to my lossless tracks at the highest quality.

It doesn't seem to be on any 'well known' website, but what do you all think?

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 87
Well it uses a wolfson dac so thats somewhat impressive. Obviously without having one in front of me its hard to say what the sound quality is going to be like.

But basicly its taking the line out from the ipod then its feeding the signal into the internal dac and amp inside the little box thus giving you sound.

Thats how it works basicly but i cannot connect on how it sounds though it is interesting.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 87
Well it uses a wolfson dac so thats somewhat impressive. Obviously without having one in front of me its hard to say what the sound quality is going to be like.

But basicly its taking the line out from the ipod then its feeding the signal into the internal dac and amp inside the little box thus giving you sound.

Thats how it works basicly but i cannot connect on how it sounds though it is interesting.

Thanks for the information, and I appreciate you using layman's terms.

Is this something you think would be worth trying out? I'm a little concerned about it only being available on these somewhat dodgy looking websites...
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 87
I looked into it further. Managed to find the official website and it looks much more legitimate from here. It also notes some statistics about output in mW and Ohms, along with some 'S / N ratio' - which none makes sense to me. Does this make any sense to anybody?

Maximum output50mW (16Ω 10% distortion) 30mW (32Ω 10% distortion)
Frequency characteristic20 [Hz] ~20 {KHz], 0 [dB] / - 0.5 [dB]
S / N ratio97dB (JIS-A)
THD + N0.07%
Corresponding number of bits / sampling rateMaximum 16bit / 96kHz
Input terminalLightning connector
Output terminalφ3.5mm stereo mini jack
MassAbout 12g
Cable length 

Information about the product itself says:

▶ 4 times clear sound quality
Output from the iPhone of 3.5mm jack Than the sound that is, the sound output through the product, since the improved S / N ratio, can be reproduced four times clear sound.

▶ high-quality DAC · AMP equipped
DAC is a high-quality audio for IC. Made Wolfson known as a manufacturer to "WM8731L" is adopted, while a compact size in clear and achieve powerful sound quality.

▶ HiRes sound source of the corresponding
High precision digital transmission
Number of bits / sample rate support up to hi-res sound source of 16bit / 96kHz.

▶ power from the connected device
This product specification for supplying power from the connected device has achieved the compactness of the housing size.

▶ remote control function
Play / Pause / with remote control function, such as the return volume control / track forward / track, easy operation.

▶ I was filled with peace of mind and safety performance standards
Licensed products And meets the requirements of performance criteria, iOS will be able to use it with confidence even been updated.

It seems pretty good to me! I contacted them (using some terrible Google Translated Japanese) asking them where I can buy it from officially, since I didn't see a way to buy anything from their website. If anyone knows Japanese, it would be great to know where I can buy it from?

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #7 of 87
Yeah it doesnt seem bad the specs seem pretty legit for what it is. Mw seems good has a wolfson dac. Pretty interesting imo

Thanks very much for the help!

I got a reply from the manufacturer. Unfortunately they don't sell their products outside of Japan...
frown.gif
Hopefully I'll get my hands on one in the future

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 87
Wolfson makes more than one chip, there's no guarantee that they are all so wonderful. Also it is now 2015 and the landscape of DAC chips has changed, there are a number of excellent DAC chips available. It is easy to use an excellent DAC chip and get miserable results due to either a poor design or layout/construction. I wouldn't generalize that Wolfson is the endall.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 87
Trust me on this, but I urge you to spend a bit more to get a good DAC/AMP and be done with it instead of sucked into the endless upgrade route, especially since you are already into CIEMs.  As of now you can get one of the best DAC/AMP that does EVERYTHING for only $200 with the CEntrance Skyn, and this is the one I would get if I am still using my iPhone.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hifi-skyn-audiophile-iphone-case-now-with-tidal

Update: just read your link and the device is already $150, totally not worth it.

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #11 of 87
Trust me on this, but I urge you to spend a bit more to get a good DAC/AMP and be done with it instead of sucked into the endless upgrade route, especially since you are already into CIEMs.  As of now you can get one of the best DAC/AMP that does EVERYTHING for only $200 with the CEntrance Skyn, and this is the one I would get if I am still using my iPhone.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hifi-skyn-audiophile-iphone-case-now-with-tidal

Update: just read your link and the device is already $150, totally not worth it.

Just read this... Thanks for the information! That case looks very interesting, but can't help thinking it's too long? I can't imagine putting that up to my face, or using it well. I think I'd rather get an external DAC and clip it to the back. I just ordered my Mophie case that set me back $120... Is there any external DACs around $200 you'd suggest? Or am I actually getting more bang for my buck by ordering that Skyn case - since it's worth $400?

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #12 of 87

Just read this... Thanks for the information! That case looks very interesting, but can't help thinking it's too long? I can't imagine putting that up to my face, or using it well. I think I'd rather get an external DAC and clip it to the back. I just ordered my Mophie case that set me back $120... Is there any external DACs around $200 you'd suggest - or more if a $200 DAC is pointless? Or am I actually getting more bang for my buck by ordering that Skyn case - since it's worth $400?

Trust me on this, if you get cheap stuff now and try to rig it, you will get sucked into the endless upgrade path with no end.  At $200, no DAC/AMP out there come close to the Skyn.  The cheapest one used to be the Sony PHA-1 at $350, but it is NO WHERE near what the Skyn can do.  The other Head-Fi'ers might try to push you on FiiO or whatever, but SQ/Price/Function wise the Skyn wins hands down.  Remember, I cannot recall a single DAC/AMP at the $200 range that is Apple certified, and most others required CCK and what not with no upscan or native hi-res support.  Remember that the Skyn IS a $400 DAC/AMP discounted to $200, and not a cheap DAC/AMP priced at $200.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 87
FYI, the other integrated solution is from VentureCraft with their Go-DAP line of DAC/AMP with BB5 case, but that's over $700 and does less than the Skyn.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 87

Trust me on this, if you get cheap stuff now and try to rig it, you will get sucked into the endless upgrade path with no end.  At $200, no DAC/AMP out there come close to the Skyn.  The cheapest one used to be the Sony PHA-1 at $350, but it is NO WHERE near what the Skyn can do.  The other Head-Fi'ers might try to push you on FiiO or whatever, but SQ/Price/Function wise the Skyn wins hands down.  Remember, I cannot recall a single DAC/AMP at the $200 range that is Apple certified, and most others required CCK and what not with no upscan or native hi-res support.  Remember that the Skyn IS a $400 DAC/AMP discounted to $200, and not a cheap DAC/AMP priced at $200.

FYI, the other integrated solution is from VentureCraft with their Go-DAP line of DAC/AMP with BB5 case, but that's over $700 and does less than the Skyn.

How is CEntrance able to do the Skyn for so cheap then? How do they turn a profit? Especially since it also has a battery. - please excuse the ignorance, I know barely anything in this sector

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 87
  How is CEntrance able to do the Skyn for so cheap then? How do they turn a profit? Especially since it also has a battery. - please excuse the ignorance, I know barely anything in this sector

The Skyn isn't just a regular Indiegogo project, and Mike (CEntrance CEO) have said before that it will be on the market no matter what.  Of course I don't know how he runs his business, but CEntrance is one of the few companies here that cloud source their design. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back