Headphone Cable Construction.
Jan 11, 2021 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

The Jester

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there such a thing as a standard unbalanced headphone cable construction for removable cables and extension cables ?
can’t seem to find much on the topic, do they use 2 x twisted pairs with or without a braided shield, two x positive cables inside a common negative braided shield or something else entirely ?

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Check out Magani and Canare quad core microphone cable.
Whatever TRS plug you use, just connect both ground cables to the same ground point.
And you get an unbalanced headphone cable.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I’d prefer that, or even quad core with a braided shield grounded at the amp end,
I’m more interested in the construction of the original removable cables, if they were 4 core with a common ground using an extension cable would put that ground at the socket end of the extension cable ...
so rather than using an extension I thought of just making up a longer cable wired as you suggested ...
another option is an SVHS cable that uses two isolated coax cables ....

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I’d prefer that, or even quad core with a braided shield grounded at the amp end,
I’m more interested in the construction of the original removable cables, if they were 4 core with a common ground using an extension cable would put that ground at the socket end of the extension cable ...
so rather than using an extension I thought of just making up a longer cable wired as you suggested ...
another option is an SVHS cable that uses two isolated coax cables ....
Years ago when I was researching about making a custom headphone cable, the brands Magani and Canare seem to be the two brands that were talked about a lot.
Otherwise not sure what to tell you.

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 6
Done,
found a 20’ Mogami balanced mono cable in my box of cables ... TRS to XLR using Neglex 2534, a shielded star quad cable,
rewired the Mogami TRS plug and cut the cable down to 12’ split that end and fitted the needed 3.5mm mini plugs, all carefully done with WBT silver lead free solder, used the remaining cable to make a more standard 8’ cable..
next a 12’ length of SVHS cable from the local electronics store for a mere $12 ... fitted the plugs and ready to go ...
8’ Mogami cable sounded better than the stock headphone cable, couldn't detect any difference between that and the 12’ Mogami cable, there was a slight difference in the SVHS cable though, still not quite sure which I prefer but I’m leaning more to the Mogami cable so far, but they both sound better than the standard cable with a commercial extension cable so “mission accomplished “ ..
expected some difference as the resistance of the 12’ SVHS cable was 400 milliohms higher, and the LCR between twin coax vs two by twisted pairs was going to make a difference too, as a cost effective upgrade the SVHS cable and plugs were cheaper than a pre made extension cable and had each driver wired directly back to the headphone socket...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back