Headphone Comparation (Really need help)
May 28, 2011 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

loscamos

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm looking for the best pair of headphone for me. I can't really decide. I live in Italy, and there isn't any store where you can try headphone, so I have ti buy it just reading the characteristics. I will use these headphone for DJing (sometime) and using my Mac (This is the real use) and listen to my iPod (rarely).

I analyzed a lot of headphones, and I choose these because the impedance in not high, so my iMac would work with it.

Shure SRH840: (My preferred one)

5 Hz - 25,000 Hz
102 dB
44 Ω

Allen&Heat Xone XD-53: (Really good)

5 Hz - 33,000 Hz
105 dB
36 Ω

Audio Technica ATH-M50: (Really good)

15 - 28.000 Hz
99 dB
38 Ω

Sony MDR-V700DJ (Low Impedance)

5 - 30.000 Hz
107 dB
24 Ω

As you can see I prefear the Shure also because they got a detachable cable. 

My problem is this: I read somewhere that the Shure work perferctly with mac also without using a DAC (external amplifier), but in some other forums people says that I need an external amplifier because without that I can't have a good quality with computer.

I need an headphone that I can use with my computer without a DAC and that can give me the most good audio quality. Can the Shure do that? If not wich other headphone on the list can?

Really thanks for your time.

May 28, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 22
Well that really didn't help that much, sorry. Only the Shures and ATs are on that guide. The Shure says it does not require amplification but also that it's recommended. The M50s say it needs an amp.

Have you asked in a SRH840 thread if anyone who owns them drives them unamped and to what effect?

May 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 22
Yeah, that seems to be the nature of the beast, I'm sorry. I would post in that thread as I believe the OP is still online and ask if driving them unamped would be worth it. It may be and that just amping improves an already quality sound.

May 28, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 22
i think the shure srh840 needs a good audio card or dac rather then an amplifier. mine can be driven to painstakingly loud volumes without an amplifier, but i haven't tried them with an amp yet so i cannot give you impressions on how they improve.

May 28, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 22
i think the shure srh840 needs a good audio card or dac rather then an amplifier. mine can be driven to painstakingly loud volumes without an amplifier, but i haven't tried them with an amp yet so i cannot give you impressions on how they improve.

At least you know that distinction. There's enough confusion in this game but when people say that this amp drives this can properly because it gets loud and then someone buys the rig and is unimpressed with the sound. :D

May 28, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 22
I got a question. The reason why I should buy a DAC is why my audio card can't drive my headphone. But if I buy an headphone with a low impedance 36 or 42 ohm, I should't have trouble. At the moment I own a Panasonic RP-DJ300 (really uncomfortable) that has 32 ohm, my Mac work well with it. I haven't tryed with a DAC.

May 28, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 22
I got a question. The reason why I should buy a DAC is why my audio card can't drive my headphone. But if I buy an headphone with a low impedance 36 or 42 ohm, I should't have trouble. At the moment I own a Panasonic RP-DJ300 (really uncomfortable) that has 32 ohm, my Mac work well with it. I haven't tryed with a DAC.

I'm not sure which sound card is in your iMac. I was just looking at the specs on one model and the output impedance is <24 ohms. Yours may be higher I don't know but the higher you go the harder it is for your soundcard to properly drive them.

May 28, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 22
It seems that the iMac soundcard is really bad. It has 24ohm output impedance. I'm beginning to think that I must use an external soundcard. But now I have to reconsider all the headphone choosing other better headphones.

To djing I use an Audio 8Dj should that drive my headphone?

May 28, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 22
I think that Sennheiser HD280 Pro with FiiO e9 could be perfect. It will work with my Mac and my mixer. At the price is like the headphone above.
But I still wait for someone that told if the headphone above need a DAC, because if it's not, I can buy only the headphone. What would be your choose?

Ps: The Xd53 have the same specs of HDJ-2000, but the thread you linked before, say that xd53 need an aplifier. This is really strange. What do you think?

May 28, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 22
I wouldn't worry about the mixer. Whatever you get will be driven easily by the mixer. The only thing would be is if you're looking for flat phones for monitoring while mixing (I know next to nothing about dj'ing :p). Those generally aren't the fun cans I hear.

Can you hook your Mac up to your mixing board (and would you use that while listening with the Mac?) That might be a great solution. Something to consider anyway.

I sold my HD 650s to my buddy who's a guitarist and he uses them straight out of his effects board and the sound is loads better than his practice amp.

May 28, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 22
If the headphone need a dac (i'll open another thread to ask that) which one would you choose. I think that the fiio e9 is perfect for desktop, but i've just seen the e5. It's look good and cheap, would be perfect for me. My budget is 200/250$
I can buy the Shure or the XD53+the fiio e5
Or the sennheiser+fiio e7/e9

I really can't decide! Also not sure about shure (looks to heavy)
Thanks for your time. You are helping me a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back