Headphone for Progressive Rock
Sep 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CesarSC

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, my first post after reading a lot...
smile_phones.gif

My Case:
Set: ALAC / iTunes / Note / Total BitHead (amp/dac)/ Senn HD595
Music Preference: 60% 70's Progressive Rock (Floyd, ELP, Triumvirat, Yes...), 20% Neo Prog (Marillion, Phaedra..) and 20% Female Vocals (jazz, blues, pop).

Well, I'm thinking  upgrade my Headphone and my budget is about USD 1K .

What do you may suggest for me?

Thanks in advance

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 15
I really dig my setup (see sig). Try to find an equivalent amp because the Glite is permanently out of production, but there are plenty of great options. With the K701 you do feel a significant decrease in impact at almost all frequencies, but the soundstage and level of detail that you can swim through is incredible. The HD650 is my favorite of the two (perhaps because I'm more accustomed to it), I like the impact in the mids and bass.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 15
I like the AD900 for prog rock, and they would be easily driven by your current amp, and are well below your budget. The HD650 are a good choice as well but are not as easy to drive, your budget however would allow for a new desktop amp to pair with the senss, but if portability is a must that's not the way to go.

The AD900 have their strong points even compared to the 650s, they have larger soundstage and greater comfort, they lack a bit in the lower bass but offer remarkable midbass clarity.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 15
Allesandro MS1i
TANJ

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Check out the BeyerDynamic DT 990s. I use them for metal so they'll be perfect for prog rock too. I absolutely love the way guitars sound through these. Extremely comfortable and detailed with nice full bass, they're great headphones.

Sep 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm  a huge fan of progressive rock and I own Ms1i and K701. Both are great for prog. However stuff like King Crimson, Porcupine Tree and Khan are wonderful with MS1i, but softer stuff like Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Bacamarte really shine on K701. So I really suggest you to get 2 headphones, but if you can't afford them then I'd recommend you the MS1/i. It's the best bang for buck headphone I've ever heard.

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Hi everybody, my first post after reading a lot...
smile_phones.gif

My Case:
Set: ALAC / iTunes / Note / Total BitHead (amp/dac)/ Senn HD595
Music Preference: 60% 70's Progressive Rock (Floyd, ELP, Triumvirat, Yes...), 20% Neo Prog (Marillion, Phaedra..) and 20% Female Vocals (jazz, blues, pop).

Well, I'm thinking  upgrade my Headphone and my budget is about USD 1K .

What do you may suggest for me?

Thanks in advance

For prog rock and jazz, I reach mainly for my HD800s. You can find them used for around $1K.

For hard rock/metal, the T1/LCD-2/RS1 and D7000 are better choices.

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Thank you all..

I'll try the AKG K701....after all i read here and little more research I consider the "soundstage and level of detail" , "greater comfort" and low impedance for my amp ande the price , of course.

I'll be back for my comments about the K701..

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Try the Grados line, start with the RS-1.

This.

Look into picking up a decent solid state amp to power them.  If you buy a used RS-1, you'll have about $500 left over.  That should get you a nice Gilmore Lite/Dynalo or M^3.  Be sure to look for used amps, too.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
This.

Look into picking up a decent solid state amp to power them.  If you buy a used RS-1, you'll have about $500 left over.  That should get you a nice Gilmore Lite/Dynalo or M^3.  Be sure to look for used amps, too.

Or maybe the Mapletree Ear+HD. It is honestly the best paired amp with the RS1s I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back