Headphone out/ line-out difference?
Mar 5, 2007 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

John_M

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any technical knowledge of this? As I see it:

- The volume on my iPod line-out is the same as from the headphone out set at 100%.
- The iPod therefore does not have an internal amp; it has a volume attenuator.
- At 100% volume, the volume attenuator will perform no function and so the headphone out @ 100% will be identical to the line-out.

Is this right? I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.
smily_headphones1.gif
If it is right, does anyone know which mp3 players work in the same way?

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried line-out versus headphone-out, nope the headphone out at 100% volume is definitely louder.

Actually, listening again, you're right. But certainly the headphone out can go lower than the line-out. So does it follow that the internal amp performs a volume-attenuation function, as well as volume-amplification, and there will be a point at which it does nothing? So there will be a certain volume level at which the headphone out is identical to the volume out?

Mar 5, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 22
The internal amp is just that.. an amp. It just depends on how much signal you give it (volume control) to what level it produces.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 22
Anyone do an A/B comparison of SQ using line out vs. head out at 75% or so volume? I know that line out is better for feeding amps, but wonder how significant it is.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 22
The line out on my iRiver H120 has a +1.5vdc offset. That's the only difference i can find.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 22
1.5V? wow. must not have any caps in the signal path so it should technically (in theory) sound better.

Mar 6, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 22
I not 100procent sure but indeed the volumelevel is the same.
First I tried it through the headphone out and than tried through my dock wich uses the lineout. No difference can be noticed IMO. They both still use the internal amp of the ipod wich is definately there.
The story changes when you attach a different amp via the dock-line out and then the sound completely changes. The volume can be cranked way up and the sq improves significantly. In that way you don't use the amp of the iPod anymore and that leads me to one conclusion...The ipod amp sucks bigtime!!!
That's all I know.

May 23, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The line out on my iRiver H120 has a +1.5vdc offset. That's the only difference i can find.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1.5V? wow. must not have any caps in the signal path so it should technically (in theory) sound better.

Okay, so what is the practical implication of this +1.5vdc offset and purported lack of caps in signal path for driving headphones directly from the line out? Thanks!

May 23, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 22
Didn't the line-out bypass the internal amp? So we are able to use a high quality external amp to improve sound quality.
And the optical output (as in the Iriver H120) bypasses both internal amp and DAC, right?
I think i read this somewhere ...

May 23, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't the line-out bypass the internal amp? So we are able to use a high quality external amp to improve sound quality.
And the optical output (as in the Iriver H120) bypasses both internal amp and DAC, right?
I think i read this somewhere ...

This is correct. Dr. Xin has a post on his forum where he demonstrated that the iRiver H1xx has a true line out bypassing the amp. Volume control (unusual feature) is digital and that also opens the possibility of plugging headphones directly into the line out (i.e. not using an external amp). The point being... that line out sounds much better than the headphone out. Will it hurt headphones (or the H140) to do that?

May 23, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so what is the practical implication of this +1.5vdc offset and purported lack of caps in signal path for driving headphones directly from the line out? Thanks!

Right, well, it's like this.

Audio is AC, right. alternating current. But amps and whatnot run on DC.

The H120, having a battery pack, has a power supply of about 3 volts.

Since 3 volts isn't much to work with, the amp is run off of a single DC power supply.

This means that, on average, the output from the amp has about 1.5 volts of DC. Really, it's DC that swings up and down a whole lot, but it's an average of about 1.5 volts.

Capacitors don't pass DC. We won't get into the science, they just don't.

So, to protect the headphones from meltdown, the headphone jack has a capacitor in-line on it.

Because the capacitor and the load across it form a high-pass filter, and headphones are relatively low impedance, the capacitor has to be fairly large. Hopefully as large as 470uf.

line-input loads are typically very high impedance, tens of thousands of ohms, and so for the same frequency response, they can protect their input with a fairly small amount of capacitance - usually 1uf or less.

So, here's the deal: electrolytic capacitors are the most compact we've got, but they don't always do such a great job of passing an audio signal without distorting it. So, we prefer film capacitors in the signal path.

470uf of film caps is bigger than your fist. You won't see it in a portable device. But 1uf can be the size of an english pea.

So, working on the theory that film caps are better than electrolytics, and that a line-input device will have a protection capacitor pretty much always, the line-out on a device may as well not have a filter cap across it.

In general, fewer capacitors means less phase distortion, but you would be shocked at the number of cheap capacitors and jellybean chips that some of your favorite recordings have gone through before they got anywhere near the CD you bought.

Thousands. Even tens of thousands.

But hey, may as well take a few out of the path where you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo

You'd hope so, but you'd be wrong 99.99% of the time.

That's the way it SHOULD be, but in truth nearly all of the compact consumer-grade DAC chips have a built-in amp and no line-out capability. I would be surprised if the H120 has separate dac and amp chips.

Quote:

And the optical output (as in the Iriver H120) bypasses both internal amp and DAC, right? I think i read this somewhere ...

Of course it does, it's digital, what need does it have for a DAC?

May 23, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Capacitors don't pass DC. We won't get into the science, they just don't.

So, to protect the headphones from meltdown, the headphone jack has a capacitor in-line on it....

But hey, may as well take a few out of the path where you can...

That's the way it SHOULD be, but in truth nearly all of the compact consumer-grade DAC chips have a built-in amp and no line-out capability.

First as regards the last comment, Dr. Xin did demonstrate that the H140 has a true line out from the DAC. I will find the post. SQ certainly suggests that it does.

So... let's assume that it does have this true line out, are you saying that the lack of a capacitor might harm headphones if plugged into the line out? I really appreciate this help.

May 23, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First as regards the last comment, Dr. Xin did demonstrate that the H140 has a true line out from the DAC. I will find the post. SQ certainly suggests that it does.

If it is a true line-out, why does the main fader control it's output level?

Quote:

So... let's assume that it does have this true line out, are you saying that the lack of a capacitor might harm headphones if plugged into the line out? I really appreciate
this help.

Yeah, it might. you'll have to sit down and work out the math for yourself based on the dc resistance of the voice coil and the rated maximum power handling ability, but in general, more than a couple dozen milivolts of DC is not recommended for headphones.

It also might just sound like crap, because the DC bias will push the voice coil out further than it would generally be, which can mean that you reach maximum excursion more easily. That'll make it crackle on large transients.

Even if you don't fuse the filament wire, the DC makes the voice coil dissipate a lot more heat than it usually would.

May 23, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks! i will be careful then.

Here is the post that I was refering to ("Inside iRiver H120"):
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=791

And here is the quotation from Dr. Xin.

Quote:

Now the key part: does it have a true line out?

It uses the Philips UDA1380TT audio coder-decoder, which includes both lineout and headphone out. So, it does have a true line out, which is taking out before the built-in headphone drive.

As I guessed earlier, the volume control is done digitally in this chip; so both line out and headphone out are controlled at the same time.

There is also a schematic provided in the thread. It might show whether meltdown is a potential issue but schematics are not my expertise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back