headphone question
Feb 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 11
-_- You have to be patient here, this isn't facebook or skype where receiving no replies after a few minutes is a shocker.

The HD555 is about as good as you'll get unless you want to put down some serious dough.
From what I understand the Siberia V2 are pretty good in general but it's clearly outclassed by the HD555 for both music and competitive gaming. It's a downgrade.

If anything, you might want to ditch the soundcard and invest in a budget amp/dac combo like the Fiio e10. Can be had for $70-80 and can drive the HD555 very well.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 11
But aren't there sound cards out there that have built in headphone amps?

I use my speakers too so I want something for both speakers and headphones....but mainly I use the headphones!

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 11
Feb 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
What I have:
-Sennheiser HD555 (headphones)
-Creative Sound Blaster X-FI XtremeGamer (sound card)
-Altec Lansing VS2621 2.1 (speaker system)
-Zalman Clip-On MIC

What I do:
-Lots of Gaming (not sure if keep headphones or pick up a headset for gaming???)
-Lots of Music (no amp(?), old soundcard but music sounds OKAY)
-Some Movies 
-Skype Calls 

What information I'm seeking:
-Are my headphones ideal for what I do?
-Is my soundcard ideal for what I have and do? (should I upgrade? its getting kind of old anyways - popping sounds occassionally)
-Whats this I hear about needing an AMP? (i r noob, clarify plzz)

SUGGESTIONS? UPGRADE OPTIONS? OPINIONS?

ALSO - For strictly gaming any thoughts on the Steelseries Siberia V2? 

Heya,

Ideal? No.
Working? Yes.

If you're looking for upgrades all around, here's some suggestions:

Headphones:

Sony MA900
Beyer DT880
AudioTehcnica AD900X

Soundcard:

SoundBlaster Zx

Mic:

AntiLion ModMic

Speakers:

Set a budget, get some real speakers. Or just focus on the headphones.

Very best,

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #8 of 11
There is a pretty good selection of soundcards with headphone amps. Newegg/Tiger direct would tell you weather it has that feature or not. The hard part might be finding a way to use speakers and headphones with out having to plug-in/unplug the one you want to use. Otherwise you'r going to need to either find something with 2 headphone outs, or buy a splitter cable. I don't know how well they work, but you can buy one for a couple bucks and find out.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 11
I have a pair of Steelseries 4H and they are clearly tuned for gaming (not for music) They are not heavy at all, really big cups, great overall confort for long time use and they have a very good 'in game positioning'. I think Steelseries 5H and 7H could be a better choice in terms of built quality, they seem to be more solid. Anyway my SS 4H's resulted to be more durable than I expected. No cable troubles, neither microphone troubles, nothing. I can't talk about Siberia's.

I think you always can upgrade, but you don't always want or need to upgrade.

Decided to upgrade, the right choice would depend in your music tastes, wich sound signature you much prefer, and some other things.
I mean:
Grado's Sr325is are really good headphones, but also Beyedynamics DT880 are really good headphones, and they are very different in many aspects.

With some more information of your music tastes, or what you appreciate the most when listening to music (Bass, Mids, Neutrality, Highs, Confort) I'm sure a lot of people here can give you good advice to spend your money in something that you will enjoy.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 11
I just did the tape mod to my HD555's....going to stick with them for now.

As far as the sound card goes, I might go with the Z....but what is the difference between that and the Zx?

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 11
my first post, but i have been reading.

I use the Siberi V2 for gaming and they do an good job on gaming for sure. I use USB version for gaming.

I use different sets for music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back