Headphone Recommendations
Nov 2, 2012 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

popcorn123

New Head-Fier

So I am new to these forums, and I am a teenager. I am looking for a good pair of closed headphones. I have looked at a number of forums have researched a lot of headphones I can't narrow down. I listen to everything from classical to rap. I would like a a flat headphone. I once tried beats and could not stand how bad they were. Also I would preferably like a detachable cable and a hard carrying case, but i can buy a separate carrying case if I need to. I am going to use an amp with my headphones. I am currently looking at the fiio e17 and then the e9k is that a good choice? (please recommend a better portable/desktop amp combination if there is one for the price). I have looked at the AKG 550. Beyerdynamic 880 (32 ohm and 600 ohm, I don't know which is better for my use so if you could please clarify the difference that would be great) Sennheiser momentum, Sennheiser 380 pro Beyerdynamic tesla 1350, and also ultrasone pro 900 (they are on amazon for about 330). Also any other reccomendations would be great. I am just looking for a comfortable headphone with good noise isolation and good sound. I dont care about looks or booming base. Could anyone please give recommendations on what would be good for me? My budget is about 300-350 without the amp included. Thanks for your help. Please excuse my disorganized post.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 12
I think you ought to try the dt990 600 ohm.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634286/your-top-5-please-circumaural-open-sound-imaging-comfort-easy-to-drive-300-tops-for-jazz-at-home#post_8833819

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 12
I am looking for a good pair of closed headphones. I have looked at a number of forums have researched a lot of headphones I can't narrow down. I have looked at the AKG 550. Beyerdynamic 880 (32 ohm and 600 ohm, I don't know which is better for my use so if you could please clarify the difference that would be great) Sennheiser momentum, Sennheiser 380 pro Beyerdynamic tesla 1350, and also ultrasone pro 900 (they are on amazon for about 330). Also any other reccomendations would be great.

The AKG550 is one of my favorites. Things you should know are they do have a longish cord though it is not too heavy. It is also not removable. There is an AKG501 coming out with ipod control and I wouldn't be surprised if that cable is shorter (they look sweet too which is a plus). Some people (me excluded) have seal problems with the 550 and thereby don't get full enough bass and they sound thin. These are people with smallish heads. I find them very neutral with smoother highs and nice presentation of the mids. I have heard complaints of the mids sounding slightly shouty which I disagree with completely.

The 380 is a very neutral phone. So much so they are quite a boring headphone. Prolly great for mixing but not preferred for music listening. I never enjoyed them without quite a bit of EQing. The LONG coiled calble is very heavy. I had to change it out with a straight cable I believe it was from the HD210.

The 880 is a semi-open so I don't know if you want those. They are neutral and a highly praised headphone on here. They are brighter in the highs than the AKG for example.

I am actually listening to the DT1350's as I type this. I really like these headphones. Comfortable for an over ear but I wouldn't wear them for hours and hours over my DT770 or 990. The midrange detail is phenomenal. The highs are detailed but smooth and not harsh or too bright at all. There is not a midbass hump like some of the consumer level cans they are quite neutral in the bass but have great extension -- meaning they hit a wide range bass freqs. Good and tight when amped. A little slower direct out of my ipod but still sounds great unamped.

Haven't tried the ultrasone or momentum. I feel soundwise out of your choices the DT1350 will be the most versatile. The trombones and brass instruments in the score of the movie I just watched with them had such texture and realism. Soundstage is going to suffer with the portable nature of the headphone though. Good portable option with a short 4 foot cable and phenomenal sound.

The AKG would be a great 2nd choice if you want better comfort and a much wider soundstage and open feel in a closed can, just beware if you have a small noggin.

I think you ought to try the dt990 600 ohm.

The DT990 is very much an OPEN headphone. He wants closed.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 12
I think i might go with the AKGs becayse of the seal i dont have a small head. i might have a detachable cable mod done by BTG audio ive read reviews on his company he seems reliable will this mod reduce sound quality ? And does anyone know when the 551's come out. i really like the silver. Is there any difference bewteen the 550 and the 551 sounds wise?

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 12
If you just want a good, flat sounding pair of headphones, I'd say go with the AKG K550. They go great with all kinds of music. And they seal very, very well.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Also I have one more question before I choose, is the T 1350 better than the AKG 550 in your opinion

Better is a relative term. The DT1350 is a tad brighter and more detailed and has some really impressive texture to the bass and lower midrange. It keeps a very snug fit on your head when moving around a lot. The AKG is much more comfy, has a better seperation, MUCH wider deeper soundstage and also sounds amazing. Way less of a portable. There is a reason i own BOTH of them.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 12
I think i might go with the AKGs because of comfort despite lack of portability and detachable cable. Ill have to find a local audio store around and go listen to both of them.

That would be a good idea if you can find them. If not, I don't think you will be unhappy with either one. Both are really great in their own light.

Nov 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 12
I think i might go with the AKGs because of comfort despite lack of portability and detachable cable. Ill have to find a local audio store around and go listen to both of them.

Hey here is a PDF on the K551's. It does in fact have a shorter cord for portablility than the K550 so it might be worth waiting for. Look it up.

http://us.akg.com/tl_files/catalog//AKG/AKG/Spec%20sheet/Home/K%20551/K551_SS_EN.pdf

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 12
For a great flat response I would say Mr. Speaker's Mad Dogs. they are modded fostex t50rps. Great neutral orthos and do well with a decent amp. Durable, detachable cable, and mobile.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back