Headphones (AKG, BT, AT, ?) + DAP (FiiO?) (up to 500 €)
Mar 11, 2020 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

soundyone

New Head-Fier
Looking to update headphones and DAP for office use. I am not very needy listener, but need something more than average mp3 and cheaper headphones. Its hard to set maximum price, but I´d hope to get under 500 €, previously been using FiiO E10k and Sennheisers 558/598. Main music I have is CD quality, 16 bit, and a portion in 24 bit FLAC.

I am old timer, so I am really looking past the Bluetooth (BT) and Wireless trends. This set I would be needing for open office, which has some mild chatter and background noise, though I would not need active noise cancellation (weary on my ears, gets me dizzy). I think good closed-back over-ear headphones are enough to help me focus.

To sum it up:
  1. Over-ear, closed headphones for office use
  2. Other functions not needed (as I wont be using them, they will just up the cost)
  3. Portability, weight not an issue (mostly stationary)
  4. Digital Audio Player (can´t use music from stationary set, hence DAP)
  5. Less than 500 €
Sadly new trend in Headphones is heavily targeted at ANC + BT, same applies to DAP´s. And no comparisons of passive noise isolation exist in extent. It is quite hard to find passive isolation even in their ranking for isolation https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/isolation/noise-isolation-cancellation-passive-active . So I am trying to build a list of headphones even what to consider/try.

When it comes to headphones I have found few sold locally, that would fit me, old-school style:
1. Beyerdynamics DT 770 PRO
2. Audio-Techinca ATH-M70x/M60x/M50x or even ATH-A990Z
3. AKG K550 mk II/II or K371
4. Sennheiser Momentum 1 (classic ones without BT)
5. Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wired)
6. Sony MDR7506 pr MDR-1RS/BT

Any headphones I should add to this list or consider? All suggestions and comments would be helpful. There are the ones I currently found, most are priced give or take 150-250 €. 18 up to 60 ohms. For that FiiO M3K should be enough power as I understand it. If I can I will obviously test headphones before I buy. The final decision will be made based on 3 categories:

1. Passive sound isolation
2. Sound quality (I listen music from all genres, hence neutral is what I prefer, Sennheisers have previously done the job just fine)
3. Comfort (Would assume 3-5h wear each day)

For DAP I found FiiO M3K (70 €), which is relatively cheap on its category and I think it is enough for me. I personally don´t need android like touch-screen, BT or other functionality. Just 16/24 bit support, good battery, solid build. I don´t think the gain from 200 € DAP would be significant in my case. But if anyone can recommend to look some other DAP´s in reasonable price range (< 150 € let me know).

Thank you, if anyone can add their suggestions or opinions!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 6
Might want to consider NAD Viso HP50s, I've found they offer good passive isolation for office use and any DAP should be able to drive them just fine. I have read that some people don't find them comfortable though (personally never had an issue using them for hours).

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 6
As for headphones Massdrop Fostex TR-X00's would be a tick in all the boxes, they are not very neutral tho. Fostex 610 (same thing as TR-X00) are available on Amazon or Thomann, i think it's possible to order them and ship back for free just to try them.

Should be better than those you listed, just not exactly the sound signature you are looking for, maybe you might like em anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 6
@Hitokiri
Massdrop Fostex TR-X00 are over way over my budget (> 500€) Also not much of reviews available. Considering I won´t be having any option to listen them before buying, I cant consider them.

@HipHopScribe I will look them up. Though also not much of reviews, many of listeners are selling them, but not recommending.

I also found Shure SRH840. I am still hoping to test a pair before I buy (though the corona outbreak in my area hinders that). At moment I am considering these headphones the most:

1. Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80-ohm 160 €
2. AKG K550 mk ii 195 €
3. Shure SRH840 130 €
4. NAD viso HP50 200 €
5. Audio-Techinca ATH-A990Z 210€

I am listening all sorts of music. Literally metal/rock, punk, hip-hop, electronic to classic/instrumental. Currently BT DT 770 pro would be my choice. Also Brainwavz HM5 and SoundMAGIC HP150 caught my eye, but I won´t be able to order them.

Mar 14, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 6
@Hitokiri
Massdrop Fostex TR-X00 are over way over my budget (> 500€) Also not much of reviews available. Considering I won´t be having any option to listen them before buying, I cant consider them.

You can listen to them, just order the Fostex 610 from Amazon or Thomann, send them back after you tried them. Shipping is free anyway.

610 and x00 are the same headphones, just different wooden cups. x00 is cheaper than the 610 but gets sold exclusively by massdrop.

They are 400$ on Massdrop usually.

You can always buy them used in new condition. I bought mine second hand and they were like new, common thing to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back