Headphones and Glasses - Options for comfortable listening experience?
Oct 16, 2017 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

garetjax27

New Head-Fier
Hey all. I've been wearing glasses since I was five, and since getting into audio, I've always used IEMs as my preferred choice of headphones.

Much of this is due to the fact that over the ear and on ear cans kill my ears because the headphones painfully push my ears against the ear pieces of my glasses. I can endure this for short listening sessions, but anything longer than an hour or so and it gets much too painful.

Anyway, I was hoping peeps could help me in figuring out a way to circumvent this issue with different headphone cups, materials or other option(s) that wouldn't smash my ears against the ear pieces of my glasses.

As I mentioned before, I've always used IEMs, and if folks think that IEMs are still the way to go, I'm open to suggestions on upgrading my UE TripeFi 10's to the next level of sonic goodness.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey all. I've been wearing glasses since I was five, and since getting into audio, I've always used IEMs as my preferred choice of headphones.

Much of this is due to the fact that over the ear and on ear cans kill my ears because the headphones painfully push my ears against the ear pieces of my glasses. I can endure this for short listening sessions, but anything longer than an hour or so and it gets much too painful.

Anyway, I was hoping peeps could help me in figuring out a way to circumvent this issue with different headphone cups, materials or other option(s) that wouldn't smash my ears against the ear pieces of my glasses.

I've been wearing glasses since I was eight.

Circumaural headphones haven't had that kind of problem. The earpads go completely around my ear, so they're not smashing my earlobes against the earpieces. I have a bigger problem with clamp force but not on the earlobes; on my Superlux HD330 there's that clamp, and the problem with my earlobes is that clamp is forcing the driver screen against the top of my earlobes. All I did, like with all other headphones, is adjust the clamp. I slightly flattened the center of the headband of the HD330, then bent in the corners, then flattened the metal gimbals. Basically the same general shape as the current HiFiMan and Abyss headbands. On my HD600 it was more to prolong the life of the earpads, but I still loosened the clamp by bending the metal arms to the opposite direction until they're almost straight.

I don't really like on-ears from the even lower isolation but I still use Grados. I just bent the headband to the same general shape as HiFiMan/Abyss headbands. Gimbals are plastic so they can't be bent but they're flat, unlike the inward slant that the Superlux HD330/HD660 and Beyerdynamics will take on once you reshape the headband.

As I mentioned before, I've always used IEMs, and if folks think that IEMs are still the way to go, I'm open to suggestions on upgrading my UE TripeFi 10's to the next level of sonic goodness.

Maybe try a CIEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back