Headphones for both orchestras AND electronic music?
May 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
Hi roBernd,

are you saying that the HD558 are the best for both genres?

do you have any idea about its sturdiness?

Thanks a lot!

in my opinion, yes, they suit both genres. The bass might be somewhat too neutral for some guys if you wanna have a "in the club feeling" with bloated boomy bass distortion.

Sturdy... well, I guess, but I wouldn't throw them around or sit on them. Also, they are not suited as portables.

I recommend them for production purposes, because they are quite flat compared to any of the headphones mentioned so far.

The GMP 8.35D is as sturdy as it can get (doesn't mid cars running over them) and a fine choice as a closed-back can. Stear far away from the Shure 940 and above... they are just horrid. The 840 is... decent or good, if you don't mind the excessive treble.

May 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #17 of 28
ATH-AD900X is 200$ at AudioCubes, and it's amazingly good with orchestral and electronic music.
In my opinion, it beats the 400$ HiFiMAN HE-400, which is a great phone as well.

For 200$, you really can't do any better. They are very light and comfortable, sturdy enough for travel (hard case is recommended though).

May 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
ATH-AD900X is 200$ at AudioCubes, and it's amazingly good with orchestral and electronic music.
In my opinion, it beats the 400$ HiFiMAN HE-400, which is a great phone as well.

I would recommend the A900X over the AD900X. I haven't listened to the AD900X but I know they both mentioned wanting closed headphones. The A900X is great. Amazing soundstage in a closed headphone and buydig sells them for $139 every now and then. I wouldn't choose these for electronic though, but I'm a basshead.

May 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #19 of 28
Beyerdynamic dt 770 pros are study, good bass extension (for electronic), comfy, closed back and isolate very well, and a nice soundstage (for orchestral music)

May 26, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #22 of 28
May 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #26 of 28
I would recommend the A900X over the AD900X. I haven't listened to the AD900X but I know they both mentioned wanting closed headphones. The A900X is great. Amazing soundstage in a closed headphone and buydig sells them for $139 every now and then. I wouldn't choose these for electronic though, but I'm a basshead.

They are a very good headphone, but the OP is going to college and might want headphones that are more portable. The wings on the A900x make them very backpack unfriendly. I'd be afraid that the plastic wings might also get damaged in a backpack.

I'm glad you mentioned being a basshead, though. I would rather listen to electronic music on my Grados than most of the headphones I have heard just because I prefer the sound signature, even though they don't do sub bass. And there are people that love bass heavy headphones with all genres. This idea that certain headphones fit certain genres really doesn't hold up well as a rule. It depends too much on the personal listening preferences of the listener.

That being said, since the OP is a music major, a fairly neutral phone makes a lot of sense for supporting monitoring use for his course work. If portable use is only for pleasure, the A900x would make good home headphones, and then get a pair of IEMs for on the go.

May 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #27 of 28
The Soundmagic HP-100 is good for both the types of music you listen to. The AKG K550 is also quite good.

May 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:
I'm glad you mentioned being a basshead, though. I would rather listen to electronic music on my Grados than most of the headphones I have heard just because I prefer the sound signature, even though they don't do sub bass. And there are people that love bass heavy headphones with all genres. This idea that certain headphones fit certain genres really doesn't hold up well as a rule. It depends too much on the personal listening preferences of the listener.

I actually really enjoy listening to EDM with my MS1000's. They had hardly any bass to begin with but poking 4 holes in the felt behind the driver added a very fun midbass hump and a bit more extension but nothing phenomenal. The mids and highs were well preserved in the process as well. I just really enjoy the Grado sound and the MS1000's in particular are very punchy and fast sounding to me. Great headphone all around :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back