Headphones for college dorm
Dec 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

scott5526

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for something that I can use in my dorm for only listening to movies/youtube with a 300$ish budget . My priorities , in order of priority, are:
1: Isolation
2: Comfort
3: Durability
4: SQ

Right now all I've found that might fit what I'm looking for are the Sennheiser hd:25ii, the vmoda v80/m80, and the beyerdynamic dt1350. The Ultrasone ed 8s look like what I'm looking for, but I'm not spending $900 on portables right now especially after buying my w3000anvs. Any suggestions?

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 30
If you have a 300$ budget and were looking into the M-80s I would sugest ordering a pair of V-MODA M-100s. 

They are over the ear cans with a decent amount of isolation, as well as V-Modas advertised military durability. 

I have heard a few complaints about the comfort, mainly being the ear cups and how much the cans squeeze your head, but bending the headband solves the squeezing issue, and the earcups should eventually get some wear on them and become softer.

Sound quality is like V-Modas other products, being bass orientated for those who listen to dubstep and rap. But Ive read the soundstage is quite good, as well as the mids and highs on them.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:
If you have a 300$ budget and were looking into the M-80s I would sugest ordering a pair of V-MODA M-100s. 

They are over the ear cans with a decent amount of isolation, as well as V-Modas advertised military durability. 

I have heard a few complaints about the comfort, mainly being the ear cups and how much the cans squeeze your head, but bending the headband solves the squeezing issue, and the earcups should eventually get some wear on them and become softer.

Sound quality is like V-Modas other products, being bass orientated for those who listen to dubstep and rap. But Ive read the soundstage is quite good, as well as the mids and highs on them.

+1. I think they are a good buy, especially judging from my experience with the M80. You might also consider modding a pair of T50RP's if you have the time. If not, look into Mrspeakers Mad Dogs. $300 will get you a fine classy comfy rig.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 30
Hows the isolation on the vmoda m80/m100 and the mad dogs? I'd rather have a pair of headphones with great isolation and below avg/poor comfort than a pair with great comfort and mediocre isolation since I live in a dorm. If I could get a pair with great comfort and isolation that would definitely be ideal though.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 30
I know the Mad Dogs are comfy, at least with the 940 pads, although I'm guessing his new Alpha Dog pads are even more comfy. They are slightly heavy, that's one reason why the comfort strap is there :) The M-100 comfort should be about the same, lighter but if my guess is right, more clamping and a little smaller pads. 

As far as isolation, both of these will probably do great. If I was a betting man, I would say the Mad Dogs will isolate a tad better. But if you live in a dorm and want isolation, have you thought of IEMs?

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 30
I go to UCLA and I've hung out enough times in dorms and have an apt 2 mins from campus, this is what I've learned:

Don't go expensive, lol. Things will break all the time, especially if you're partying.

Get some nice sub $100 IEMs, like the Klipsch S4's and then spend the rest on booze lol

The S4's are fun enough, playing with the tips, they can isolate everything, and they have a mic-cable as well.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 30
I'm getting some shure se 215s for on the go, but I prefer headphones for media purposes. As for partying don't do that much and I'm not too worried about breaking since I baby most of my headphones.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 30
I've got the S4's for on the go right now and my Grado's for at home. Will be upgrading as well (RS1i, Asgard), but I'm gonna be sure to store that stuff when things start kicking off, seems like I'm more wreckless and my place gets packed when there's stuff going lol

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 30
Haha, I live in more of a remodeled apartment than a full on dorm. I get close to my own room, but I still have people walking through my room so I'd like a good level of isolation. This means that I have room to store and protect my headphones, but isolation would still be nice.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 30
Being an on-ear design I personally do not think the M80s would be very comfortable unless loosened greatly. At that point I dont think they would stay on. I think they would also leak quite a but, again because of the on ear design, vs an over ear like the M-100 since it forms a seal with your head.

Personally I would go with the M-100s since they are customizable at no added cost, as well as foldable, and they come with that great hard case. I think the Mad Dogs are ugly, and they do not fold, nor come with a hard protective case.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 30
scott, I've had the Monster Turbine Coppers, regular Monster Turbines, S4's, and Soundmagic E30s, and with the exception of the E30's, they all isolate more than you would need, dangerous even if out walking on the street, they'll block out traffic and people around you def. I'm not even using my fav tips with the S4's right now (which are the bi-flanges) but with what I've got on them now, stock medium size ones, it's more than enough. I can't imagine something like the Shure 215's having less iso than any of those I've mentioned

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 30
I'll be hearing the m100 at this months local hifi meet I think so maybe I'll wait until then to make a decision, but I am liking the sound of both the mad dogs both the m80/m100. I currently have grado 225is, akg k702s, and w3000anvs. The first two leak since they are an open design and the w3000 isolates decently enough, but they are fragile and expensive so I don't like to move around with them too much. iems are great for being on the go which is why I'm getting the shure se215, but I enjoy headphones more than iems, at least in my experience, which is why I want a pair that can isolate well for my apartment. As a note I'm going to be using these around my apartment/dorm which is why they need isolation. I usually watch movies on my laptop, my kindle, or my galaxy so I need a pair of headphones that I can move around my apartment with without much leakage.

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 30
I prefer my SR80i's over anything else I have as well, even more then the Monster Turbine Coppers. Used to take em with me everywhere but stopped and got some IEMs because I didn't want to have to jack up the volume to drawn out outside noise. I keep them indoors only now

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 30
I used to love my sr225is too, their speed and punchy bass is great, but they haven't seen much headtime this year as I've been trying to experiment with other headphones. I got the K702s and realized what great soundstage was then I got the w3000anv and realized what good non-bright headphones sound like. I really should give the grado 225is more headtime, but it's hard when I could spend the time listening to trance on my 3000anv!

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 30
Would the mad dogs be worth the premium over the fostex t50rp for my needs? The fostex can be had for 102$ on Amazon atm while a fully upgraded mad dogs can be had for 300$, three times the price. Mainly concerned with isolation foremost, with comfort being an afterthought behind isolation

Users who are viewing this thread

Back