Headphones for IPod
Jan 12, 2012 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jorich

New Head-Fier
Ok... I listen to music on my iPod touch 3rd generation 32gb. I currently have skullcandy fmj. I am getting tired of earbuds and in ear headphones. I personally dont like them and get tired of wearing them. I want comfortable full size headphones. I think full sized headphones are more comfortable for longer listening sessions. I am on a budget of 100 but up to about 150 is fine (I can usually find the 150 ones for around 100). I am starting to get picky with how they sound as I continue to get better headphones. I thought my FMJ's were not that bad for 60 bucks. I like headphones with some good bass but don't forget about the highs and mids. I like to be able to hear the instruments and vocals without sacrificing too much of the bass. Thanks for all of the advice and hope I can finally find my perfect headphones. Also I was considering the rocnation aviators but I have heard that I can get sennheisers that were better for the same price.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 9
Do you want a headphone that sounds natural, or one with extra bass? Do you want an open headphone or a closed one? An open headphone typically has better highs and better soundstage, however it doesn't keep out surrounding noise, and typically the bass isn't as good as with a closed headphone.

A full sized closed headphone will make your ears very hot with extended listening. For extended listening, an open headphone is more comfortable.

A good headphone to listen to first is the Sony V6. It is closed and sounds very neutral. Other headphones you might want to listen to are the Audio Technica ATH-M50(closed, extra bass), the Sennheiser HD558(open), or if you want to spend less, you might want to consider the Denon DNHP700($69), Koss Pro DJ100($80), Ultrasone MFI-450($72), Or Creative Aurvana Live($55). The Ultrasone MFI-580 and MFI-780 also look interesting. There are many more headphones worth considering. First let us know if you want open or closed, extra bass or neutral, compact, or not so compact, etc.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 9
I hate to admit this in public, say what you want about Sony and their electronics, but they actually make pretty good headphones in their representative price brackets.  They are easy to drive and are voiced well to work with portable devices like ipods.

The MDR-V6 are really good for ~$100 and the MDR-XB700s make bass heads pretty happy for < $150.

They are good for what they are in their price bracket.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Do you want a headphone that sounds natural, or one with extra bass? Do you want an open headphone or a closed one? An open headphone typically has better highs and better soundstage, however it doesn't keep out surrounding noise, and typically the bass isn't as good as with a closed headphone.

A full sized closed headphone will make your ears very hot with extended listening. For extended listening, an open headphone is more comfortable.

A good headphone to listen to first is the Sony V6. It is closed and sounds very neutral. Other headphones you might want to listen to are the Audio Technica ATH-M50(closed, extra bass), the Sennheiser HD558(open), or if you want to spend less, you might want to consider the Denon DNHP700($69), Koss Pro DJ100($80), Ultrasone MFI-450($72), Or Creative Aurvana Live($55). The Ultrasone MFI-580 and MFI-780 also look interesting. There are many more headphones worth considering. First let us know if you want open or closed, extra bass or neutral, compact, or not so compact, etc.

Ok, to answer your questions JK1, I would like headphones with maybe a little extra bass. I like to be able to feel a little bit of a rumble but I do not want a pair that completely craps on the mids and highs. I use to have Skullcandy Skullcrushers, and the bass was way too overpowering and I could not hear the instruments at all almost. I would give up extreme bass for a decent bass and better sounding mids and highs.I like to be able to hear the instruments and vocals and not have the bass overpower everything. That is what I liked when I tried out the Aviators, from what I could tell, I could still hear all the instruments but they gave me that little feeling that they were rumbling my head, which I liked. The Aviators were also a closed headphone. From what you are telling me, it sounds like maybe a closed headphone would get me the bass I want, but honestly I am a little tied up between the two because I have never personally listened to an open headphone. I also do not like to hear too much outside noise either though, so I would have to say closed might be more preferred, but I wouldn't turn down an open. Compact, I dont care how compact they are or how they look, they could be the ugliest headphone in the world and I would still use them. The way I see it, I wear headphones to hear good music, not to look good for others.

Quote:
I hate to admit this in public, say what you want about Sony and their electronics, but they actually make pretty good headphones in their representative price brackets.  They are easy to drive and are voiced well to work with portable devices like ipods.

The MDR-V6 are really good for ~$100 and the MDR-XB700s make bass heads pretty happy for < $150.

They are good for what they are in their price bracket.

Thanks for the tip hodgjy, I will take a look at those headphones also. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 9
It honestly depends on what you are looking for and the budget you are setting for it. I have the shure srh940 and they run great with the ipods, so do the xb500 and xb1000

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Okay....well I was looking around and the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the Sony MDR-XB700's were the ones catching my eye from the ones you guys listed. I have read, for the most part, only good things about them. I have seen about the same prices for both, Sony has seemed to be a slight cheaper. I was going to ask you guys which one out of these 2 you preferred. They both seem like they would satisfy my bass needs without getting rid of the rest of the song.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Okay....well I was looking around and the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the Sony MDR-XB700's were the ones catching my eye from the ones you guys listed. I have read, for the most part, only good things about them. I have seen about the same prices for both, Sony has seemed to be a slight cheaper. I was going to ask you guys which one out of these 2 you preferred. They both seem like they would satisfy my bass needs without getting rid of the rest of the song.

Same price for both? In the US the ATH-M50 is $135, while the XB700  is $80. I guess many dealers are sold out on the XB700, so those who have it in stock now want very high prices. In a few weeks though, most dealers will be restocked. Don't pay the current inflated asking prices on the XB700.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 9
Okay, I think I would want the Sony headphones now, looked up some reviews. I looked on ebay and saw the prices you were talking about JK1. I looked at the XB500's as well though. I watched this review at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45C-AKAHEA and the people there are saying that the XB500's are better than the XB700's. Youtube I know can't always be trusted though and I would like to come ask you guys first as I think you might know a little more than they do :)

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 9
Okay guys, i found a thread here on head-fi about the comparison between the 500's and the 700's. They said the 500's are better if I don't use an amp, which I dont plan on getting one. So I think I found the headphones I will be getting plus they are cheaper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back