Headphones for movies
Nov 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vegitto4

New Head-Fier
Good evening,

I write from Italy, sorry for my English.

I'd like to buy a headphone for movies (I usually watch blu-ray and/or mkv with Powerdvd or MPC-HC).

Budget is not a problem, but I'd like to buy a very high quality headphone. Which one is the best for movies and some games? I read that the best ones are stereo with dolby headphone by sound card (I think Xonar Essence, correct?) but there are so many models...

BT 880 - Beyerdynamic T7 - Hifiman HE-400 - Sennheiser HD650 - AKG Q701 - Denon AH-D600, etc.

PLease suggest me whic one you think is the best for my objectives (movies with hd audio and games)

Thank you very much and best regards

Francesco

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 14
Beyerdynamic T1s are easily my favorite for movies. 

The Q701 are also good for movies since they are very light and comfortable. They are very detailed, but the low end is a little thin. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 14
Thank you very much.

Can you explain why you prefer T1?

Can you give me an opinion about the models I wrote previously, especially Hifiman He-400 (I read that is different by the other ones). Especally because T1 is really expensive...

Thank you again

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Thank you very much.
Can you explain why you prefer T1?
Can you give me an opinion about the models I wrote previously, especially Hifiman He-400 (I read that is different by the other ones). Especally because T1 is really expensive...
Thank you again

Sure. The T1s are the most comfortable headphones I own, and if I'm going to watch a movie I want something comfortable. The low end is well extended and they show well in action films with lots of audio effects (e.g. explosions, "rumbling" of engines, etc). Vocals sound very clean and crisp and dialogue is always perfectly intelligible. I find them to be relatively neutral headphones that are the best "all-rounders" that I currently own, so they do well with any type of film. Lastly, I feel they image quite well and have a nice sized sound stage, so the special effects are properly placed in the soundfield and the overall presentation is spacious. 

The 880s would be a very nice choice as well, especially with movies, but since you said budget wasn't an issue I recommended the T1s first :)

If you end up considering the T1s, look into picking them up from Meier Audio. Jan always has a great deal going on them. 

I've not heard the hifiman phones, but they have a very good reputation. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Good evening,
I'd like to buy a headphone for movies (I usually watch blu-ray and/or mkv with Powerdvd or MPC-HC).
Budget is not a problem, but I'd like to buy a very high quality headphone. Which one is the best for movies and some games? I read that the best ones are stereo with dolby headphone by sound card (I think Xonar Essence, correct?) but there are so many models...
BT 880 - Beyerdynamic T7 - Hifiman HE-400 - Sennheiser HD650 - AKG Q701 - Denon AH-D600, etc.
PLease suggest me whic one you think is the best for my objectives (movies with hd audio and games)
Francesco

Heya,

Audeze LCD2
Hifiman HE-400
Beyer DT990 PRO (or T90)
Ultrasone PRO 2900

Movies are always better with monstrous sub-bass ability. Right? Right.

Very best,

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Thank you! Which one do you prefer? I read some reviews and for the price I think He-400 could be the best. Do you agree?

Heya,

For the cost, few headphones are worth every penny. The HE-400 happens to be worth more than the asking price as far as I'm concerned.

Very best,

Nov 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Good evening,
Francesco

Of those listed, I'm most familiar with the HD650 and Q701. The HD650 is well know for its laid back sound - however this is less than ideal for movies. For movies, you're linking the visuals with the sound. Even if the movie isn't based on action, sound effects are often an important dimension to the movie experience.  Imagine a close up of a galloping horse; you'd expect an a rhythmic thump with impact, but with the HD650 all of these effects are somewhat subdued. Also, without EQ, the dialogue may sound a bit distant.  The Q701 do have more energy and have good detail in the mid and upper ranges, but expect to tweak low end settings (ie. bass boost). For the HE-400, I can only go by charts and it looks like some adjustment in the 2K-4K range is needed to optimize dialogue. You may also want to look into sound leveling. Otherwise, the scenes that are designed to make you jump may cause heart failure.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
my choice should be he-400. I think is a good choice for me. Agree?
smily_headphones1.gif
Thank you everyone

Just a hunch here, but it sounds like you really have your eyes on those 400s...I say go for it! :)

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 14
For movies there's nothing I've enjoyed more than the Denon DX000 series. I've upgraded along the whole path and nothing sounds as boomy and fun as this line of headphones. And comfort? There's so few headphones that are as comfortable as that line. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
HifiMAN HE-6
HifiMAN HE-5LE

You'll need a serious amp for them. 

I'd go the HE-400 route, they are my favorite cans for movies (they have a spacious soundstage) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back