Headphones for movies
Feb 8, 2021 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

limaaa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm searching headpones for watching movies so I need your help. My purchase will be blind buy.

I have tried:
HD58X (to narrow soundstage, everything is in my head)
HD6XX (same as HD58X, soundstage is to narrow)
NAD Viso HP50 (comfort is not so good, soundstage is also to narrow)
HD598 (great comfort, great soundstage, but bass response is not so good, there's no impact at all)

I would like headphones with good soundstage, good bass and comfortable. Also I don't want headphones to be shouty, and no pearcing highs.

Please help me out.

I don't want to go over €350.

Thanks!

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 23
My all time favorite headphones for movies are the Fidelio X2HR. Nothing else compares. The soundstage and bass are so good, and you can plug them into anything and they sound great.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 23
They sound good, natural, in the right place...I'm telling you, I've tried a lot of headphones, the Fidelio are the best sub $300 headphones for movies, I'll fistfight anyone that says different.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 23
You can also check out the HiFiMan HE400i, they are one of the best affordable planar headphones out there in the market. they pretty neutral, good bass and decent soundstage.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 23
I would recommend a closed back dynamic headphone for movies. I think you'd be very happy with a used Sony MDR-Z7 or Z7M2. I own both and would never part with either.

Feb 18, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 23
I would recommend a closed back dynamic headphone for movies. I think you'd be very happy with a used Sony MDR-Z7 or Z7M2. I own both and would never part with either.
Sorry, that's incorrect. There isn't a single dynamic closed back headphone in this price range that will have soundstage comparable to the X2, none... and almost none of them has as good bass.
The X2 is the best headphone for this use, in this price range...

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #10 of 23
Feb 18, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 23
I'm a little worried about HifiMan quality.
Earlier HiFiMan headphones did have some some issues with quality. Especially with their headbands and cables. But their quality has improved a lot over the years. I've had my HE400I for over 5 years. It's the older model and I have had to replace the headband twice. But the new revision HE400I seem pretty solid and much more refined.

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 23
Earlier HiFiMan headphones did have some some issues with quality. Especially with their headbands and cables. But their quality has improved a lot over the years. I've had my HE400I for over 5 years. It's the older model and I have had to replace the headband twice. But the new revision HE400I seem pretty solid and much more refined.
I had the Sundara on loan for a while and they are not what I'd call a sturdy design. In fact, i wound up not buying a set in part because of their delicate nature.

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 23
I had the Sundara on loan for a while and they are not what I'd call a sturdy design. In fact, i wound up not buying a set in part because of their delicate nature.
Yeah the Sundaras do seem a bit fragile. But new 2020 version of the HE400i seems solid. And I don't see their handbands being an issue anymore. At least with that model. Some of the high end models like the Arya still have the older style headband which would make pretty nervous buying them, especially at their 1600 dollar price point.

Also sound quality you get from the 400i at 150 dollars is hard to beat and I can't think of another headphone that can perform better at that price point. I would not take a pair of x2 over a 400i even with their issues.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #14 of 23
Yeah the Sundaras do seem a bit fragile. But new 2020 version of the HE400i seems solid. And I don't see their handbands being an issue anymore. At least with that model. Some of the high end models like the Arya still have the older style headband which would make pretty nervous buying them, especially at their 1600 dollar price point.

Also sound quality you get from the 400i at 150 dollars is hard to beat and I can't think of another headphone that can perform better at that price point. I would not take a pair of x2 over a 400i even with their issues.
Here's where you are misguided: it's possible the 400i is "better" in some ways, this is not a judgement of them....but do they have better bass and soundstage? Nope. So are they better for movies? Nope.
Now throw in the factors of durability:X2 is more durable. Then throw in the factor of drivability: the X2 is more drivable.
I don't know how much more clearly I can explain it below: $200 the Fidelio x2hr is the best headphones for movies bar none .....fight me..... throw me out a better headphone I dare you!
Also, check this thread, see if anyone agrees with me https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-fidelio-x2.723025/

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 23
I enjoyed the Beyerdynamic amiron with films. What are you using to drive your headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back