Headphones for movies
Feb 19, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #17 of 23
Here's where you are misguided: it's possible the 400i is "better" in some ways, this is not a judgement of them....but do they have better bass and soundstage? Nope. So are they better for movies? Nope.
Now throw in the factors of durability:X2 is more durable. Then throw in the factor of drivability: the X2 is more drivable.
I don't know how much more clearly I can explain it below: $200 the Fidelio x2hr is the best headphones for movies bar none .....fight me..... throw me out a better headphone I dare you!
Also, check this thread, see if anyone agrees with me https://www.head-fi.org/threads/philips-fidelio-x2.723025/
I don't know man, I think I might have to take you on those fighting words.Which one is better HE400i or X2HR? It all really boils down to taste in sound signatures. Do you want something that is a bit more neutral or do you want something that has more of a strong V-shaped sound. I don't remember how good the soundstage was on the X2 when I tried them but I don't remember being blown away. They do have a ton of bass but I found it a bit bloated. Eventhough not as impactful, the bass on the HE400i is cleaner and still pretty punchy. When it comes to mids I think the 400i is the clear winner. Because of their strong V-shaped sound signature the X2 mids are really pushed back. So things like vocals are going to suffer. When it comes to the highs, here is another area where I had an issue with the X2. Again because of that v-shape the highs were too forward for me and I found them fatiguing. And my last issue with the X2 is the pads. I didn't find them that comfortable and apparently pad swapping on an X2 can be difficult because of their weird mounting system. With the HE400i you don't have that problem. You can easily swap the pads and tone you headphones to your liking. I personally like my HE400i with a old pair ZMF ori protein leather pads. They added a bit more soundstage to them and a lot more comfort.
But with all that said, if you are going to mainly watch action movies with big explosions pick the X2. They make things go "BOOM" very well.

Feb 19, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #18 of 23
I forgot to mention that I don't watch action movies. I want headphones for dialog and sense of space, good soundstage, and accurate bass. I want headphoness for horror movies, tv shows...

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #21 of 23
I tried. Do what you must.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 23
I don't know man, I think I might have to take you on those fighting words.Which one is better HE400i or X2HR? It all really boils down to taste in sound signatures. Do you want something that is a bit more neutral or do you want something that has more of a strong V-shaped sound. I don't remember how good the soundstage was on the X2 when I tried them but I don't remember being blown away. They do have a ton of bass but I found it a bit bloated. Eventhough not as impactful, the bass on the HE400i is cleaner and still pretty punchy. When it comes to mids I think the 400i is the clear winner. Because of their strong V-shaped sound signature the X2 mids are really pushed back. So things like vocals are going to suffer. When it comes to the highs, here is another area where I had an issue with the X2. Again because of that v-shape the highs were too forward for me and I found them fatiguing. And my last issue with the X2 is the pads. I didn't find them that comfortable and apparently pad swapping on an X2 can be difficult because of their weird mounting system. With the HE400i you don't have that problem. You can easily swap the pads and tone you headphones to your liking. I personally like my HE400i with a old pair ZMF ori protein leather pads. They added a bit more soundstage to them and a lot more comfort.
But with all that said, if you are going to mainly watch action movies with big explosions pick the X2. They make things go "BOOM" very well.
How would you compare the 400i to the Sundara? I'm very familiar with their sound

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 23
A bit left field..... but used Ultrasone Pro900 might fit the bill. Odd beasts those, but good for movies.
Stop. A $550 closed back studio headphone? This isn't left field, it's silly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back