Headphones for Playing Guitar at Home
Feb 1, 2013 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lipitaur

New Head-Fier
I have a little conundrum with my current living situation and my ability to play my electric guitar through my amplifier in that I live in a townhouse and during the week only have time to play at night.  I have been looking for a solid set of closed can headphones to plug into the line out of my amplifier as a solution to this problem.  I have been recommended the Shure SRH840 as a good neutral choice but I'm wondering if something else would be better suited to this application.  Can anybody make recommendations based on this use case scenario?  Lets use the SRH840 as the "price point" to work around.  As an FYI I loathe bright sounding speakers.  

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 3
I use a K701 or HF1 for late night guitar jams, but primarily the K701.  Relatively flat, neutral & uncolored across the spectrum.  It lets me hear the actual preamp settings, without imposing much of its own character.  Curious, what are you plugging it into?  Most current day cab modelers, modeling preamps have a WIDE range of ways to tweek the sound to your liking.  I use an older script logo Line6 POD 2.0 with the K701.... great sounding little setup.  Also if you are plugging into a non-emulated line output, its going to sound bright / stale / thin... its going to sound like a preamp not a guitar amp+cab.  No headphone is going to change that.  Or at least it would take a severely inaccurate and colored headphone to "fix" it, a headphone that you most likely would not want to listen to in any other scenario.

PS... I don't like bright sounding speakers either.  My cab is a Mesa 2x12 with Black Shadow 12s... dark and thumpy-plumpy sounding, great for going CHUG-CHUG-CHUG-CHUG.

A pic for fun...  RS1 pictured, but I dont normally use it for this.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks so much for the response!  I'm going to be plugging into a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket, which has a dedicated "Record/Phones" Output on the amp section.  The description of the output in the manual is as follows:

"This jack provides direct-to-console interfacing for recording or sound reinforcement applications.  
It can also be used to power a set of personal headphones which is a convenient way to practice 
day or night privately. It is a circuit dedicated to reproducing the roll off that occurs in the output section with a 
speaker connected.  With accuracy, it faithfully captures the SUBWAY ROCKET'S  soulful character.  
The send level strength is determined by the GAIN and MASTER Controls.  From this jack, adequate signal 
level will be available to you for most of your recording needs and live performances."

Certainly I don't expect it to sound like going through a cab, but I just want to get accurate sound reproduction if possible.  I'm also using this partially as an excuse to buy a nice pair of headphones to listen to music with as well haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back