Headphones for under €100
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Neil Baldacchino

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones and my budget is €100. I only listen to rock music and I only do so in a quiet environment. My top contenders right now are the Audio Technica ath-m40x, AKG Y50 and the Grado sr80e. Any suggestions?

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't know how much they go for where you are but if you can get it under your budget I would consider the Phillips SHP9500s.

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 9
If you listen to guitar oriented rock then the Grados are for you. Have not heard the m40x’s but are said to be more neutral than the m50’s that I think have bloated bass and the AKG’s don’t know also haven’t heard them either but do have a couple pairs of 240’s one a sextett and the other a Monitor both need lots of power but do sound awesome for rock.

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 9
I would also say go for the Grado but they are on-ear and not comfortable for extended sessions in my opinion. So, it would depend for me on how long your listening sessions are. If they are fairly longish, then I would go with the M40x, which I also like a lot for rock. If they are not much longer than say an hour or so maybe, then I would go for the Grado, which was really meant for fairly short rock sessions (IMO).

Jan 30, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #8 of 9
My advice for the rock/hardrock stuff would be the superlux 330. Its 35$ oe Euro approx and sounds great. The earpads are crappy, so you should spend around 20 bucks for good replacement pads (the sennheiser 990 or 880 pads or similar would fit perfectly). I bought china-velourpads from amazon and they fit/sound great on the 330.

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 9
Wow....this thread was dead for two years til today lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back