Headphones good for movies
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Christo4

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there

I am in need of a pair of headphones that are good for movies.

I wish for them to be open since i already have a closed pair of cans.

The models I've been looking at are the Beyerdynamic DTX910 and the Sennheiser HD 518.

Which do you think is best for the task at hand? Are there other headphones which are better (within the price range of the above ofc)?

For the moment i don't have an amp but i will buy one next year. So i will be running them from an unamped source.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #2 of 12
Fischer Audio FA-011! Great sound and wonderfully immersive. Great for movies and gaming. Just a really good alround headphone. I enjoyed these so much and can't wait to get my grubby hands on a pair of my own. :)

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 12
Heya,

Another vouch for the FA-011. Great signature, warm and musical, smooth highs, great mids, warm lovely bass. Excellent for big movie sound. They are 160ohm, but they're easy to drive, I wouldn't worry about that part too much (especially if you're plugging into a soundcard, or receiver even). They have a wonderful woody style and "victorian" retro appeal.

Some other headphones to consider: Beyer DT990 PRO, AKG K240 MKII, Goldring DR150, AudioTechnica AD900 (used)

Very best,

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 12
Looks like the OP is looking for something in the sub-$100 range unfortunately, or I'd recommend the Fischers as well.  It also looks like those who have ordered them recently are having problems with GD-Audiobase, and I'm pretty sure Frogbeats is out of stock still.

For sub-$100 headphones, I like my HD555s ($65 refurbished from DAKMART/DAHMART - they're an authorized retailer), though they lack some of the bass rumble of the FA-011 for explosions and such.  You could also look into the Superlux 668B/Samson SR-850 or possibly a modded Fostex T50RP.  Other popular sub-$100 recommendations are the Panasonic HTF-600 and maybe the Sony XB700, which would have the bass for movies, but I'm not sure about the soundstaging.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 12
For 90 euros you will not get an excellent open headphone with the bass you are looking for, I'm afraid. Of course it depends on how picky you are but I would go closed with your budget. Easier to get that thumping bass IME. 

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Well I think those cans are over my budget...

I can't spend more than 90 euros...

BTW: Greetings zmd, fellow romanian :p

The Fischers would just squeak in under your budget ($118 at GD-Audiobase), but I'm not sure I can recommend ordering them right now since it's looking like everyone who's ordered from them in the past month or so still hasn't received them.  There's a few other retailers in Europe, but they're a bit more expensive (115 euros at Headsound.de).

Look into the ones I listed in my earlier post though.  They should all be less than 90 euros if they're available.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
The Fischers would just squeak in under your budget ($118 at GD-Audiobase), but I'm not sure I can recommend ordering them right now since it's looking like everyone who's ordered from them in the past month or so still hasn't received them.  There's a few other retailers in Europe, but they're a bit more expensive (115 euros at Headsound.de).

Look into the ones I listed in my earlier post though.  They should all be less than 90 euros if they're available.

Well the Superlux or the Panasonic i have no trouble finding. It's the HD 555 i can't find anywhere...

But are they better than the Beyer DTX910 or Senn HD 518?

EDIT: Also i already have a closed pair, i wanted an open one now...

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #11 of 12
If you don't mind closed 'phones, Creative Aurvana Live! are great for movies. They are well within your budget at about $70.

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Well the Superlux or the Panasonic i have no trouble finding. It's the HD 555 i can't find anywhere...

But are they better than the Beyer DTX910 or Senn HD 518?

EDIT: Also i already have a closed pair, i wanted an open one now...

I couldn't tell you which ones would be better, since I haven't actually listened to them, but I can say that the Superlux and the Panasonic will probably have more bass than the Sennheisers (if my HD555s are anything to go by), which will make for better explosions and such.  I recommended them because they're two of the most recommended sub-$100 headphones for soundstage and bass, which I feel are important for movies.  Oh, and if you get the Panasonics, you should pick up a pair of Beyerdynamic velour pads - they're supposed to improve the sound a lot.

Neither of them are closed; they're semi-open, which gives you most of the soundstage of an open headphone with an increase in bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back