Headphones you regretted buying the most
Jan 9, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #1,248 of 1,852
Worst purchase ever made was the Focal Spirit One's. Awful, just awful

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,249 of 1,852
Ultrasone Edition 8 - Ruthenium. Hugely underwhelming for the price. I sent them back and got the Ultrasone Sig Pro, which has, IMHO, very similar sound quality for £350 less! I believe the Edition 8s are a classic example of what happens when you pass the point of diminishing returns.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,250 of 1,852
Quote:
Ultrasone Edition 8 - Ruthenium. Hugely underwhelming for the price. I sent them back and got the Ultrasone Sig Pro, which has, IMHO, very similar sound quality for £350 less! I believe the Edition 8s are a classic example of what happens when you pass the point of diminishing returns.

The high-end Ultrasone's are actually sort of a niche type of product for a specific crowd of people like Final Audio offerings where quality and luxury aesthetics matter more than the sound itself. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #1,252 of 1,852
Id have to give it to the ath m50.

They were uncomfortable with a tight clamp and downright sweat enducing. The sound was mediocre oooooook at best. Compared to my A700s they couldnt hold a candle in soundstage or comfort. The treble felt really recessed as well.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #1,253 of 1,852
I'd have to say the HE 400, not because they aren't excellent headphones, but because I was pants-wettingly excited, and when they came in I found that I just hated the sound signature and what it did to 90% of the music I listen to.

Ended up returning them and buying some HD 650s instead. No longer broken-hearted.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #1,257 of 1,852
I really regret buying the PRO900, not only because my pair was defective and a major headache, but they were cheap and nasty feeling. The build quality, for a $300 headphone, made me want to gag.

Would it make you feel better or worse if I told you SRP was $549 in the US? :ph34r:

I'm torn on Ultrasone build quality - my first PRO2900 was kind of a disaster, but the second one is kind of amazing. I think their internal motto is probably something like "go big or go home" - it either fails big or it wins big. :p

Id have to give it to the ath m50.

They were uncomfortable with a tight clamp and downright sweat enducing. The sound was mediocre oooooook at best. Compared to my A700s they couldnt hold a candle in soundstage or comfort. The treble felt really recessed as well.

I'd have to agree. I bought the M50 based on a lot of positive reviews and praises and based on enjoying some other ATs that I've heard over the years, and honestly - it was disappointing. Channel imbalance (*bad* channel imbalance), uncomfortable, creaky, and the sound was kind of ho-hum. I mean build and QA aside, and if they were comfortable, they'd honestly be good headphones - but that's a lot of "asides" to get there.

Shame too, the LE were lookers!

Beats Pro: weighed as much as one too

lol. I lol'd at the quoted comment too. Especially after seeing them in person - they look a lot bigger in the stock photos, and I was thinking "you know, the Denon, Kenwood, and Koss full-size cans are around the same weight (in some cases more), these probably aren't that bad..." - but then they're more in-line with the ESW9 in size (but weigh over twice as much). :ph34r:

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,258 of 1,852
Beats Studios. I wasn't satisfied with the sound quality. Too much bass. Muddy bass IMO. Overpowered the mids and the highs-- they were just, there. Meh, but I learned from that, and found this wonderful place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back