Heads up to all violin music lovers - Mutter/Bach DG recording
Sep 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
2008cd-gubaidulina.jpg

On the CD: Anne-Sophie Mutter accompanied by Trondheim Soloists play Bach Violin Concertos in A minor and E major. As an "encore", there's also Gubaidulina's 'In tempus praesens'.

This has to be one of the most spirited performances of the Bach concertos. Combined with spectacular acoustics (wonderful on both speaker and headphone rigs), this is one recording which IMHO is a "must-have" in all classical music collections.

Mutter plays with such sensitivity, care and precision. Her interpretation is also very easy on the listener. The Times gave it a 4/5. I think one could add at least another 0.5 to that rating, if not a perfect five. Thank you Deutche Grammophon for yet another wonderful recording.

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 15
Thanks for the heads-up, Milkpowder.

FYI - Amazon says that this album will be released on Oct 7, 2008, in the US.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I've got all of Hilary Hahn's recordings already
smily_headphones1.gif

Her Bach concertos are a must!!! I have to say I listen to her once a day. Also another great violinist is Mordori!!

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 15
Hilary Hahn's Bach Concertos are played in a very different style to Mutter's. It's interesting flipping back and forths between the two. The Trondheim Soloists play with such energy and precision, not unlike the wonderful Orpheus Chamber Orchestra.

As great a fan of Midori as I am, I haven't really put my mind to getting all of her recordings. Nice to meet someone with such a distinguished taste in violinists
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 15
Well, for me, I will buy the same pieces based on the violinist!!! Sarah Chang (sorry for my selling, I'm only good at spelling when I'm forced to be - LOL) is also outstanding!! I saw her play live Four Seasons. She was simply amazing....she must of broke a few strings...wow

Mutter is still one of my favorites however. Her control and with balance makes her a performer I can listen to time again and again. Beethoven Violin Concerto, Romances:

Amazon.com: Beethoven: Violin Concerto, Romances: Ludwig van Beethoven, Kurt Masur, New York Philharmonic, Anne-Sophie Mutter: Music

This is one of my favorites from her. She takes a piece, a common piece for us violin lovers, and puts a sense of ownership which makes it totally inviting. Just one of the best in regards to her command of her instrument. I have not have had the pleasure of listing to her live. I have had tickets twice but outside events prevented me from going..
I can truly talk about her for hours since she represents what hard work can do when out to good use.

Hilary plays with such a different poise. See, this s what I love about violinist.

Amazon.com: Mendelssohn, Bruch: Violin Concertos: Max Bruch, Felix Mendelssohn, Mariss Jansons, Berliner Philharmoniker, Midori: Music

Mendelssohn's Concerto in E minor for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 64 has been played by so many violinist. This performance is where I fell in in love with Midori style. Here control dominates the entire album.

Hilary's style also lends towards a delicate yet masterful. Boy I'm Glad someone else understand...

One more artist i truly enjoy and has become more popular is Julia Fischer. I have purchasing as much I can form her!! She is less delicate (but can if need be) and more dominating. Her fresh approach keeps me more interest as I explore her recordings.

Oct 12, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 15
I'd wait until they show up at the bmg music clubs and save mucho dinero.

I don't know what Mutter will do with Bach, but based on her previous efforts with Mozart and Beethoven, I'm not that sanguine. The best modern instrument recording of the Bach concertos is Akiko Suwanai, but she's better known in Asia and Europe. It's good to see her album available at least as an mp3 at Amazon.

51F8wHrbR3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd wait until they show up at the bmg music clubs and save mucho dinero.

I don't know what Mutter will do with Bach, but based on her previous efforts with Mozart and Beethoven, I'm not that sanguine. The best modern instrument recording of the Bach concertos is Akiko Suwanai, but she's better known in Asia and Europe. It's good to see her album available at least as an mp3 at Amazon.

51F8wHrbR3L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I must listen to this album several times a week. Actually when I'm testing new products (SACD version), I use this album as one of my references. She also is amazing in Poeme....

Very controlled....

Oct 13, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SACD-Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~snip~

Man! You and I will get along nicely. I am currently buying as many Julia Fischer SACDs as possible. Her recordings on Pentatone are heavenly. My favourite happens to be her Tchaikovsky SACD. What a sensory overload!

I must confess I don't know Akiko Suwanai too well. I don't have a single recording of her's and now that you mention it, I'll have to start 'collecting'
L3000.gif

Hilary Hahn sounds great, but I don't think she is that great to watch. Her playing is delicate and precise, but she looks a bit rigid. I much prefer the laid back playing style of Perlman. I also enjoy watching Vengerov act on stage
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for young violinists to follow, then you should also put Leila Josefowicz on the watch list.
wink.gif

SHe is amazing as well....I would have to concur

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man! You and I will get along nicely. I am currently buying as many Julia Fischer SACDs as possible. Her recordings on Pentatone are heavenly. My favourite happens to be her Tchaikovsky SACD. What a sensory overload!

I must confess I don't know Akiko Suwanai too well. I don't have a single recording of her's and now that you mention it, I'll have to start 'collecting'
L3000.gif

Hilary Hahn sounds great, but I don't think she is that great to watch. Her playing is delicate and precise, but she looks a bit rigid. I much prefer the laid back playing style of Perlman. I also enjoy watching Vengerov act on stage
biggrin.gif

HOLY COW!! I was just about to mention Julia Fischers performance on Pentatone. I bought all of her Pentatone records after hear that!!!
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back