Headset vs. Headphones (Gaming)
Nov 9, 2012 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TrainRain

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I'm new here, so my apologies if I'm in the wrong forum.
As you may also discover, English isn't my first language, so my English are most likely not 100% fluent.

I decided to make an account here to ask you guys (who most likely are more professional when it comes to sound than me) if gaming headsets really are a joke, when they are compared to the sound headphones make. This seems reliable due to headphones being made for one thing, which of course is to make sound. I'm pretty much of a bass-head, therefore I'd like to buy a pair of headphones or a headset with a bit more bass than may be usual. Keep in mind that it'll be used for gaming at most times, but also music of course.
I have just owned headsets for the use of gaming so far, so my experiences with headphones are rather few. Do gaming headsets provide good sound when it comes to gaming, or would I get better off buying a pair of headphones + a clip on mic? Regardless of what you choose of the two, what specific pair of headphones or headset do you recommend?

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 16
With headphones and the antlion modmic, you'll have more freedom to select a specific headphone with a sound signature more to your liking.  Plus the price/performance is usually higher for a headphone, because it isn't as marketed.

What is your budget?

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 16
I would say my budget is around 150$-200$, thanks for replying!

Edit: One thing, I do use an on-board sound card. Should I buy a new sound card also, or wouldn't the difference be worth it?

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 16
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, or my Soundmagic HP200 for $190

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 16
There was a how-to about mounting a mic to a pair ATH A700's i believe, let me look it up
I used my DT880/250 for gaming online and i never needed surround, i could locate any sound accurately.

Edit; Here it is http://www.head-fi.org/t/446329/fragtalitys-audio-technica-ad700-boom-mic-mod. It was done with a AD700 but im sure other cans work well too, though the AD700 seeme to have a nice reputaion for gaming, the A700 is the closed-back version

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Are you looking for a surround sound while playing games?  If so you'll need to get a surround sound processor like the astro mixamp, which would be most of your money

Well, I am currently using Razer Barracuda which have 5.1 surround sound (3 speakers x 2). This is something I do not care that much for, so no surround necessary. I did buy the Cyborg F.R.E.Q 5, which I enjoyed. But the white noise was killing my ears and I had to return them. What I want is a headset/headphones that really have a clear sound, but still provide the intense bass sound of an explosion. Is this possible. Other reasons to why I do not care for surround is that I use them for music as well and stereo will provide a somewhat surround-ish feel anyways...

Another thing, if there are some that fits my preferences with headbands that can be stretched, that would be awesome.
Headbands like the ones on AD700​

Quote:
There was a how-to about mounting a mic to a pair ATH A700's i believe, let me look it up
I used my DT880/250 for gaming online and i never needed surround, i could locate any sound accurately.

Edit; Here it is http://www.head-fi.org/t/446329/fragtalitys-audio-technica-ad700-boom-mic-mod. It was done with a AD700 but im sure other cans work well too, though the AD700 seeme to have a nice reputaion for gaming, the A700 is the closed-back version

Thank you for finding this for me! I will see if I can make it work if I end up buying headphones, which I most likely will.
Just need to find the perfect pair first.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 16
The AD700's are bass anemic, the DT770 are fun headphones with good bass. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 16
Heya,

I would get off your onboard sound chipset. I would suggest a basic introduction to better source gear: Xonar DG (PCI), Xonar DGX (PCI-E) for sound cards. Very inexpensive, good chipsets, good amplifiers, good software for surround (if you change your mind, at least it's there; Dolby Headphone; and you don't have to use it, but again, it's there should you change your mind; I never used surround when I gamed on headphones, I found it didn't sound as good and really didn't offer a true advantage really to me). Alternatively something external and discreet like a Fiio E10 USB DAC/AMP unit.

For headphones & a microphone, suggestions:

Closed back for privacy/isolation:

Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750

Open back for soundstage:

Beyer DT990
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sony MA900

Microphone:

AntLion ModMic

Very best,

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Heya,

I would get off your onboard sound chipset. I would suggest a basic introduction to better source gear: Xonar DG (PCI), Xonar DGX (PCI-E) for sound cards. Very inexpensive, good chipsets, good amplifiers, good software for surround (if you change your mind, at least it's there; Dolby Headphone; and you don't have to use it, but again, it's there should you change your mind; I never used surround when I gamed on headphones, I found it didn't sound as good and really didn't offer a true advantage really to me). Alternatively something external and discreet like a Fiio E10 USB DAC/AMP unit.

For headphones & a microphone, suggestions:

Closed back for privacy/isolation:

Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone PRO 750

Open back for soundstage:

Beyer DT990
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Sony MA900

Microphone:

AntLion ModMic

Very best,

I've read a lot about open back and closed back. What is really the difference apart from it actually being open or closed. Why should someone choose open back, does it provide you with any better sound.

I think I'm going to go for the DT770, if there isn't any headphones that provide better bass in that price range.
I thank you all for helping me and giving me a good impression of the community you've got here!

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

I've read a lot about open back and closed back. What is really the difference apart from it actually being open or closed. Why should someone choose open back, does it provide you with any better sound.

I think I'm going to go for the DT770, if there isn't any headphones that provide better bass in that price range.
I thank you all for helping me and giving me a good impression of the community you've got here!

Open air headphones have a wider sound stage, because they are open to the environment and have more air to move around, so there's physical more space acoustically. Closed back headphones have the volume of air within the cup to move around acoustically, so the sound stage is a little smaller, but as a perk, you have passive isolation or privacy, you're not sharing your sound with the environment and the environment isn't sharing it's sound with you, so you have more privacy. Many gamers actually prefer closed headphones, contrary to the whole "use open air for gaming for sound stage and imaging" because frankly it's distracting to hear your keyboard, mouse clicks, computer fans, house sounds, AC, etc, which are actually quite loud when gaming and an open back headphone allows all that in without any restriction. An open back headphone with it's increase sound stage should provide a little better spacial awareness, more of a sense of three dimensional space, but it's not absolute, it's just a little better. For some it's absolutely required, for a competitive gamer who wants the absolute most they can get for an edge. But for someone more casual it's not as critical. Someone looking to have fun bass isn't really someone who's wearing headphones for sole sake of hearing foot steps. So I think you'd be fine either way, and I would recommend you simply get whatever sounds like it would suit your needs best.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 16
OK, thanks for clearing that up. I think I prefer closed headphone.
The mic you suggested seemed very good and easy to use on headphones, though I can't seem to find it in any store in my country. Neither did I find it on amazon, and I don't want to buy it from US, the customs and transportation fee would make it much more expensive.
Any other mics I could buy, that are more "known"?

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Open air headphones have a wider sound stage, because they are open to the environment and have more air to move around, so there's physical more space acoustically. Closed back headphones have the volume of air within the cup to move around acoustically, so the sound stage is a little smaller, but as a perk, you have passive isolation or privacy, you're not sharing your sound with the environment and the environment isn't sharing it's sound with you, so you have more privacy. Many gamers actually prefer closed headphones, contrary to the whole "use open air for gaming for sound stage and imaging" because frankly it's distracting to hear your keyboard, mouse clicks, computer fans, house sounds, AC, etc, which are actually quite loud when gaming and an open back headphone allows all that in without any restriction. An open back headphone with it's increase sound stage should provide a little better spacial awareness, more of a sense of three dimensional space, but it's not absolute, it's just a little better. For some it's absolutely required, for a competitive gamer who wants the absolute most they can get for an edge. But for someone more casual it's not as critical. Someone looking to have fun bass isn't really someone who's wearing headphones for sole sake of hearing foot steps. So I think you'd be fine either way, and I would recommend you simply get whatever sounds like it would suit your needs best.

Very best,

That's the most I've ever seen you write lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back