HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Sep 1, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #3,571 of 4,489
I don’t know how to explain this but my heDDs are sounding more natural with time 😂
It’s Awsome!!!
I think that might be brain burn-in :gs1000smile:

Sep 1, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #3,574 of 4,489
Not sure that's accurate -- of course I could be mistaken or mis-informed, but I've never seen anything from the maker suggesting they expected that a speaker amp would be required to drive these. That may be the reality (as you hear it) but I don't think it's the manufacturer's intention.

Just to add to this, considering they made a list of headphone amps that work well with the HEDDphone on their official site... yeah.

https://hedd.audio/faq/3-conclusion/

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #3,575 of 4,489
As far as I can make some comparisons with the Heddphone plugged behind :
-> Portable Centance M8V2 (2x1.4W at 42 Ohms)
-> Portable Less BX2+ (2x2.2W at 42Ohms)
-> Desktop headphone Amp Monolith THX 887 (2x2W at 42 Ohms)
-> Desktop Speakers Amp Sony TAN-55ES (2x20W at 42 Ohms 2x110W at 8 Ohms)

I would say that the little THX887 does the job at best !!
The 30 years old TAN-55ES is very impressive, if not better. The Sony is very comfortable till 40-50% of the volume knob (direct speakers to 4.4mm connection), but, without music, some background hiss (not totally blank) between 15W to 20W (75% to 100%) which, anyway, can't be used with music, as it's far too loud for the ears).
The Less BX2+ is, as a portable amp, really amazing too, though it's a bit too bulky and really annoying to have such short battery life (max 4 hours with the HEDDPhone).. but it can do everything thing with the HEDDphone.

Definitely, the 2x1.4W of the Centrance M8 V2 are falling short too often with instant power for many DSD, though there is some volume in the ears.. I would think that below 2x2W at 42 ohms, there is no path available to get fast, clear and deep kicks in low and ultra low frequencies like the HEDDphone can produce even at low volumes (even compared to TOTL closed headphone like my Ultrasone Ed 15 Veritas or Z7M2, the HEDDphone goes deeper without distortion).

Just to add that A&K Kann Alpha can't do anything with the HEDDphone, though they claim to be able to produce 2x6V (like M8V2)... but so distorted and no real deep clear impacts in low and ultra low frequencies available at any moment.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #3,576 of 4,489
Hey, fellas! I am no longer a HEDDphone owner [nor am I primarily a headphone devotee--see footer]. However, the HEDDphone were my endgame product, and perhaps my all-time favorite cans [spanning decades of experimentation].

That said, I have some very nice after market cables for sale, especially "made to order" for the HEDDphone. Please follow link below and let me know if anything strikes your fancy [only the 2nd and 3rd items apply]. My impression/conviction was that the stock cable is the HEDDphone's chief impediment.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...cal-clear-he1000se-and-heddphone-audeze.2751/

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #3,577 of 4,489
Today I am listening to music with my HEDD for the first time since my Verite closed arrived two weeks ago.

Roon -> HQPlayer -> iCAN & iDSD, both in tube mode, sounds just amazing.
If I could only keep one of the two headphones - VC or HEDD, I don't know which one to choose!

1631343752488.png

Sep 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #3,578 of 4,489
Today I am listening to music with my HEDD for the first time since my Verite closed arrived two weeks ago.

Roon -> HQPlayer -> iCAN & iDSD, both in tube mode, sounds just amazing.
If I could only keep one of the two headphones - VC or HEDD, I don't know which one to choose!

Which one has better timbre?

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,580 of 4,489
I don't think there any mods other than some small PEQ adjustments for the HEDDphone.

Actually, Hedd services seem to be rather quick to repair the heddphone, they informed me that within two days they could fix the different issues of my headband...
So I hope I will get soon back home my HEDDphone, as I am missing it.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #3,581 of 4,489
I think HEDDphones have huge potential but it falls a little short as it is. Midrange has this loudness like sound to it. Likely caused by The hump in the 600hz-1000hz range. There is also a dip somewhere in the lower treble that is not bothersome but might affect overall tonality even though it does not stand out on it's own that much.

I'm currently comparing it to Utopia,Stellia,Arya and LCD-R. Next to LCD-R and Utopia HEDDphone sounds kind of "dirty" allmost as if it's closed back headphone. I'm thinking that maybe more transparent back grille or some sort of dampening would help with the reverbs. I just don't want to be first to open up the headphones and attempt such mods :D

This is not to say I don't like HEDDphone. I do... alot. Otherwise I would just sell it and not think about modding potential. There is something very natural about HEDDphones presentation that I don't get with Utopia or LCD-R. Regarding other technicalities it is as good as people say and to me it's step up from Arya.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #3,582 of 4,489
I think HEDDphones have huge potential but it falls a little short as it is. Midrange has this loudness like sound to it. Likely caused by The hump in the 600hz-1000hz range. There is also a dip somewhere in the lower treble that is not bothersome but might affect overall tonality even though it does not stand out on it's own that much.

I'm currently comparing it to Utopia,Stellia,Arya and LCD-R. Next to LCD-R and Utopia HEDDphone sounds kind of "dirty" allmost as if it's closed back headphone. I'm thinking that maybe more transparent back grille or some sort of dampening would help with the reverbs. I just don't want to be first to open up the headphones and attempt such mods :D

This is not to say I don't like HEDDphone. I do... alot. Otherwise I would just sell it and not think about modding potential. There is something very natural about HEDDphones presentation that I don't get with Utopia or LCD-R. Regarding other technicalities it is as good as people say and to me it's step up from Arya.

If necessary, I think you should adjust with some PEQ the hump in 600-1000hz if it disturbs you a bit too much.. :thinking:

I think I will soon go for a DCA Stealth ... and see if it can take me away from the bulky and noisy (for my family) HEDDphone

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #3,583 of 4,489
If necessary, I think you should adjust with some PEQ the hump in 600-1000hz if it disturbs you a bit too much.. :thinking:
That would propably be the smart thing to do. Unfortunaly that is not my preferred method. So I just keep wasting money until I find a headphone that has timbre, technicalities and tonality I want without eq :laughing:

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #3,585 of 4,489

That’s very true regarding the hedds presentation.
It feels very real, as if you can really see the drums sitting next to you.
Btw, there IS some mod that someone on this thread does.
He cuts up leather and covers the outside part of the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back