HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Apr 4, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #3,991 of 4,489
HEDD in the house

First impressions: FAST, clean/transparent/detailed, balanced. But as with most of my headphones, the top end is a tad brighter than I prefer. Not bad though. A touch of EQ applied and I'm liking these a lot.

As far as comfort-- not an issue for me, so far at least. I know that could change over time. But it's immediately more comfortable/more wearable than say my LCD4. I don't mind weight if it's handled well. So far so good.

NP: some Beethoven symphonies. Back to enjoying :)
IMG_20230404_120402.jpg

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #3,993 of 4,489
I am quite surprised that a revised/refined version of HEDDphone has not come along after 4 years..
I would like to see that 6khz suckout (it's -15dB) lifted slightly - compared to LCD-X the HEDD sounds dead... really competent AMT technology but I am looking for a silver cable to use with the HEDD due to the 6khz valley.

May 6, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,994 of 4,489
I would like to see that 6khz suckout (it's -15dB) lifted slightly - compared to LCD-X the HEDD sounds dead... really competent AMT technology but I am looking for a silver cable to use with the HEDD due to the 6khz valley.
Well, it would not be easy to find that particular silver cable to *just* lift the deficient 6kHz band! EQ?

May 6, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #3,995 of 4,489
Well, it would not be easy to find that particular silver cable to *just* lift the deficient 6kHz band! EQ?
EQ is the easiest solution, sometimes life is not about the easy solutions... :p

Going to try a silver plated copper cable, then a pure silver.. to be fair I've been using a beefy pure copper cable and fed signal from a warm preamp, will make adjustments there and see how I can clean the signal before it reaches the HEDD....

May 6, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #3,996 of 4,489
EQ is the easiest solution, sometimes life is not about the easy solutions... :p

Going to try a silver plated copper cable, then a pure silver.. to be fair I've been using a beefy pure copper cable and fed signal from a warm preamp, will make adjustments there and see how I can clean the signal before it reaches the HEDD....
Are you going with my HEDD cable recommendation Darren of Arctand in Singapore? This is a silver-copper hybrid sounding downright boundless and should fit the bill nicely, and not too costly.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hedd-announces-heddphone-with-amt-technology.906270/post-17414580

May 7, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #3,997 of 4,489
Are you going with my HEDD cable recommendation Darren of Arctand in Singapore? This is a silver-copper hybrid sounding downright boundless and should fit the bill nicely, and not too costly.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hedd-announces-heddphone-with-amt-technology.906270/post-17414580
I tried googling that but couldn't even find a purchase link.
Edit; I think I found it, https://arctand.com/product/rubi-xlr/

For now I'll try out some cables from Ali Express - The shop name is 'Open Heart'.
They offer silver plated cables with 16 strands total, 304 cores, Single strand 19 cores 28AWG.

For comparison Custom Cans have what I consider ultralinear copper cables, they have 336 total cores at 41 AWG (much thinner individual strands, 0.071mm).
The Open Heart is a beefier cable; with the addition of silver plating I expect it to sound as clean as Custom Cans can pull off with their pure copper, ultra-thin Litz configuration.

Looking at the Arctand XLR cable; it is 2 straight 24 AWG wires; copper and silver. It states a capacitance of 90pF/m.
Custom Cans states their capacitance is 20-40pF/m. The lower the capacitance, the less the frequency response is altered by the cable (as my understanding goes).
From what I understand, the OpenHeart cable has 16 * 28AWG wires, each wire in a litz configuration of 19 smaller strands.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #3,998 of 4,489
Seems like you have pretty good concepts for cable design. For my preferred source, different from the design you see on his website, I ordered a custom-made cable 18 AWG with the best shielding around, and he also just got a very pure stock of copper and silver litz. Anything can be customized at request. He's a real pleasure to deal with. It wouldn't hurt to shoot him a message and see what he says.

May 7, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #3,999 of 4,489
I've just swapped from the Koss electrostats to HEDD and OTL amp. Using the stock Audeze cable and it sounds fine, nicely extended upper frequencies.
Audeze uses 4 * stranded 20 AWG wires.
Will see how the OpenHeart aftermarket compares to the stock Audeze.

May 7, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #4,000 of 4,489
I've just swapped from the Koss electrostats to HEDD and OTL amp. Using the stock Audeze cable and it sounds fine, nicely extended upper frequencies.
Actually, it sounds awesome. I should have tried the stock Audeze cable and my OTL amp sooner...

May 7, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #4,002 of 4,489
May 7, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #4,004 of 4,489
OT couldn’t PM:

Curious about your chain, 1421==>A90==>339. What’s the A90 doing, why not 1421 straight to 339?

May 7, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #4,005 of 4,489
OT couldn’t PM:

Curious about your chain, 1421==>A90==>339. What’s the A90 doing, why not 1421 straight to 339?
Acts as a preamp; easy to control volume via the A90D compared to the OTL amp.
It is a lovely clean preamp that adds a tiny bit of extra 3D stage to the sound of the LF339. Good dynamics, retains all the upper frequency detail etc.
Turns a good setup into a really inviting one; I got lost in dying light 1 yesterday with this setup :) - The HEDDphone does low end like nothing else; LCD-X, Focal Clear etc... with a clean chain the HEDDphone is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back