Heed Canamp with orthodynamics?
Oct 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Hmm, the Heed Canamp seems to have fallen out of favor in Head-Fi land of late...

I can't find the specs on the manufactuer's page - is it powerful enough to drive Hifiman and Audeze orthodynamics with ease?

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 15
I have one and it works great with all the orthos out there that I have tried except for the HE-6.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 15
It's been ages since I've had a Heed CanAmp, but I call it being good with relatively power-needy cans that could stand a bit of mellowing at the top end (like the K70X) but too subdued with the already relaxed HD650.

I'd assume that it's not suitable for the HE-6. It would likely drive the LCD-2 (though it might lack something in the high end) and the HE-500 reasonably well.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
It's been ages since I've had a Heed CanAmp, but I call it being good with relatively power-needy cans that could stand a bit of mellowing at the top end (like the K70X) but too subdued with the already relaxed HD650.

I'd assume that it's not suitable for the HE-6. It would likely drive the LCD-2 (though it might lack something in the high end) and the HE-500 reasonably well.

sounds like the HE-6!!

It would be GREAT if someone could actually pair these 2 up and see if they work. People always assume the HE-6 needs to be plugged into some $50,000,000,000 headphone amp in order to make so much as a squeak, so you never get to hear if cheaper amps are even capable of driving it.

By all accounts, the Heed Canamp was beastly powerful and suited to driving low-impedance, low-sensitivity headphones, hence my interest in it. It also has that big, bassy signature I like.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People always assume the HE-6 needs to be plugged into some $50,000,000,000 headphone amp in order to make so much as a squeak, so you never get to hear if cheaper amps are even capable of driving it.

That's because for the most part, they aren't capable of driving it.

Case in point: my Purity Audio KICAS. It's pretty similar to the CanAmp in power and sound signature, though I slightly prefer the KICAS. I've used my KICAS occasionally recently as an always-on monitoring amp for very short listens when I don't want to power up the Liquid Fire. In short, the KICAS/HE-6 combination makes music, but it's never something I would recommend to anyone. Reports of the HE-6 being shrieking, sibilant monsters with no bass are surely based upon unfortunate combinations like this.

The CanAmp is not "beastly powerful" by any stretch, BTW. It's a nice amp for the money, but it's "legendary" suitability with the K70X has much more to do with compatibility of sound signatures than it does with power.

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 15
I use my canamp with both Senn 650's and 30 yr old Yamaha hp-1 orthodynamic phones. Would like to re wire my hp-1's and looking to replace my hard wired AC cord on the heed with a C8 chassis mount so I can use either C7 PC or adapter from c7 to IEC

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Bump...

can anyone report their findings with a Canamp driving the Hifiman HE-6?

And does anyone have the specs of how many watts, the Canamp puts into 50ohms?

I tried contacting Heed Audio directly several times and they never got back to me.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back