Hello! Advice appreciated for an amp for AKG 712
Dec 15, 2014 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jinrawke

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

Been lurking for quite awhile doing a lot of research, I originally thought, 'oh my ear buds broke, I'll spend about a hundred or so on some decent headphones...' . After reading up on forums here and articles on headfonia and innerfidelity, I knew 100 wasn't going to be enough. Long story short I ended up with an m50x, m80, m100, and now I have an AKG 712 on the way since I didn't really enjoy any of the other headphones. I originally had the hd 600 and hd 650 on my list but after spending a couple days listening to clips on sonic sense, I felt the k712 would suit me better. It seems to be the nice middle ground between the excessive bass of the m100s and the subtle bass of the sennheisers and would also work for gaming. Seen a lot of reviews saying its a good all arounder.

I listen to and have an appreciation for all types of music. Lately been listening to a lot of incubus, rhcp, mj, aoki, with a little bit of adele and lorde.

For the k712s - I'll either be using my iPhone6 plus or MacBook pro retina to primarily run these. I'm looking for a portable amp as these will be going to and from work with me everyday.
I've been considering the following
- e12
- e17
- e09k and possibly an e17 later
- c5
- the new schiit fulla

I'm really curious about the fulla as its an amp and dac for such a low cost (allowing me to save money for a schiit stack or m&m later)

Based on my searching so far, it seems that a lot have been recommending the e12 for portability.

What I'm unsure about is if I need a dac for my iPhone and MacBook. Would it be better to get an amp/dac combo or to just get a portable amp powerful enough for the k712s?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 16, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 2
The Schiit Fulla does not have a battery - it is powered by the USB connection. It also does not have line-in jacks - it is USB only. That will work for your MacBook, but not for for your phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back