Hello, in need for an amp or Dac for DT 880
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JoeyBre

New Head-Fier
I'm completely new to the whole hi-fi audio stuffs. Just recieved a Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohms Premium to primarly use for music and gaming, home only. I plugged it in onto the back of my computer case/ motherboard, and quite dissapointed on what I hear. These cans seem to not be powered enough to be loud I guess, so I'm in need of a Dac or Amp. Again, I'm completely new to this whole audio thing. Something thats not too expensive :frowning2:

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 15
The FiiO E09K + E17 seems to be a popular, more affordable choice for those headphones.

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm completely new to the whole hi-fi audio stuffs. Just received a Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohms Premium to primarily use for music and gaming, home only. I plugged it in onto the back of my computer case/ motherboard, and quite disappointing on what I hear. These cans seem to not be powered enough to be loud I guess, so I'm in need of a Dac or Amp. Again, I'm completely new to this whole audio thing. Something that's not too expensive
frown.gif

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card ($82.99), can easily drive 250-Ohm headphones.
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Beamforming-Microphone-SB1500/dp/B009ISU33E

Remember to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when adding an internal sound card.

Asus Xonar Essence STX, better DAC and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Xonar-Essence-STX-PCIe-Sound-Card-/161379250409?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item2592f3f0e9

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 15
That STX will power the 880's to its full potential? Just making sure, because I looked up other threads here and its confusing. Getting a dac/amp for music, or better to get a sound card since I play FPS video games most of the time?

Aug 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #6 of 15
You might want to check out the Firestone Audio Fireye DA DAC Headphone amp.  You can pick one up for only $60 shipped on Amazon!  Can't get much cheaper than that, and should be a good upgrade for your situation.

Aug 2, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 15
  That STX will power the 880's to its full potential? Just making sure, because I looked up other threads here and its confusing. Getting a dac/amp for music, or better to get a sound card since I play FPS video games most of the time?

My Essence STX can drive my DT880 600-Ohm and DT990 600-Ohm headphones, so no problem with 250-Ohm headphones.
The Essence STX should be a decent enough gaming card, I really do not see people complaining about gaming with the STX.

You can ask here on this thread about gaming with the STX.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 15
  Hmm.. How about the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR? A friend recommended it over the STX.

I'm a Asus Xonar supporter, The STX and ZxR use the same class of DAC chip (PCM179X) and the same headphone amplifier (TI 6120A2), if you prefer ZxR, go for it.

Used ZxR, $180
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-Labs-Sound-Blaster-ZxR-PC-Sound-Card-/171400066482?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item27e83d75b2

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 15
  Hmm.. How about the Creative Sound Blaster ZxR? A friend recommended it over the STX.

Both will produce pretty much the same sound quality, but the ZxR is better for gaming since SBX Pro Studio is much better than Dolby Headphone and it also supports EAX for any older games you might play.  But the price is ridiculous on the ZxR.

Sep 20, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 15
Been a while since I've checked this.
I searched through amps/dacs and came across the Schiit Magni/Modi, and discovered that the Modi can be bought as Optical.

Should I buy the Schiit Magni/Modi USB stack
Or go with that stack but optical to slap in a sound card like the ZxR for the audio positioning benefit and power to drive the DT 880 cans to maximum potential?

Or is that not really possible?

I mention the stack since it contains plenty of good reviews and have enough money to purchase them.

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 15
I searched through amps/dacs and came across the Schiit Magni/Modi, and discovered that the Modi can be bought as Optical.

Or go with that stack but optical to slap in a sound card like the ZxR for the audio positioning benefit and power to drive the DT 880 cans to maximum potential?

I mention the stack since it contains plenty of good reviews and have enough money to purchase them.

It's possible, though if you go with the optical Modi then the ZxR is useless since it has the same DSP/gaming features (positioning) as the cheaper Sound Blaster Z.  The only difference is that the ZxR will sound better on its own, but since you'd be using the Modi it would make no difference.

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 15
It's possible, though if you go with the optical Modi then the ZxR is useless since it has the same DSP/gaming features (positioning) as the cheaper Sound Blaster Z.  The only difference is that the ZxR will sound better on its own, but since you'd be using the Modi it would make no difference.

Alright then. Schiit stack and Z is a go then! Thanks for the info

Sep 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 15

When it comes to the optical output on the Z cards, the ZxR does not offer any advantages over the Z (with the S/PDIF optical).
So just get the Schiit stack and the Z.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back