Hello! New member here!
May 12, 2007 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

RatFarm

100+ Head-Fier
I decided to join the ranks of the headfi! For my first quality headphone choice I have an AKG K701 being shipped and I should be receiving it next week. I used to own some Senn HD600s but sold them to raise $$$ for a different audio component. They were pretty good but I'm hoping that the K701's are more airy and open sounding. Anyway, after reading some good info about headphone amps I noticed that nobody has mentioned trying out a good classic receiver from the late 60's or early to mid 70's for a headphone amp. I have owned a few Marantz, Pioneer and Harmon Kardon receivers of that era and for musicality and pure enjoyment modern receivers cannot hold a candle to them. I wonder if using quality headphones with these vintage receivers would provide the warm and realistic sonic experience that would be much $$$$ to match with modern headphone amps. Is anyone using a vintage receiver for a headamp?
280smile.gif

May 12, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet.

I have compared my Yamaha A-1000 integrated amp (circa 1984) to my Hornet, and the Hornet is definitely better. I think you would have to go back into the late 60's/early 70's stuff as you said to find something good.

I have heard some favorable comments about older NAD receivers/amps, and also Marantz amps from the pre-1975 period (1060 for example). Apparently, both of those companies put more effort into the headphone pre-amp stage. I haven't tried either of these for myself, however.

Also, if you find them, older pre-amps from Crown, SAE, and even Dynaco usually had nice headphone outputs.

Audiogon has a lot of older stuff for sale.

May 12, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatFarm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if using quality headphones with these vintage receivers would provide the warm and realistic sonic experience that would be much $$$$ to match with modern headphone amps. Is anyone using a vintage receiver for a headamp?
280smile.gif

I used to use a Marantz 2226 receiver as a headphone amp and I currently use a Nikko TRM-210 amp on my work system, (both are 1970s components) both do/did pretty well as headphone amps though the noise measurements of these older units are only okay, nevertheless it is a cheap experiment as these things can be picked up from eBay for pennies and they do pretty well at powering speakers as well.

May 12, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 14
Welcome to Head Fi RatFarm
580smile.gif

I can relate to your thoughts about the old amps and I used to
be quite content with driving a pair of Sennheiser HD565 ovations
from my trusty NAD 3020 integrated amp. As much as this and other
amps of that vintage had used discrete components in the headphone
amp section that gave them plenty of juice to drive headphones
properly, many of these well excuted and purpose built headphone amps
are better sounding.

Where some people here in Head Fi have taken the gradual route of
entering the world of head amps, I went directly from using my NAD
3020 straight to building the Mapletree Audio Design Ear + purist kit.

I'm glad I did as it was a great leap forward and really enabled me to
get the last word from my headphones.

Hope you enjoy your time here and yes, sorry for your wallet
tongue.gif

May 12, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Thank you all for your input. What a friendly place! I guess I start my journey into the depths of headphone amp hunting! I'll keep reading, learning and then pull the trigger on something that fits the <$500 budget.
tongue.gif

May 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi!
May you, and your wallet, have a pleasant stay.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 14
Oh yeah - I just recently got a pair of used Senn 650s - (sorry bout the 2nd post vs an edit - trying to post a WTB for a Corda Aria.) Going to headphones because I'm away from home most of the time to utilize the Home Theater (B&K Ref 50 w/ Paradigm Studio v2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back