hello. recommendations for a new guy
Apr 26, 2024 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

phantasmag0ria

New Head-Fier
hello

looking to get into the headphone game. my dac/amp is soundblaster x7. my budget is around 500 to 600$ range. looking to upgrade amp aswell (maybe tube)

right not im looking at Focal Elegia, Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO, hifiman ananda nano, and sennheiser hd660s2. what else is out there. something that is new or came out recently. or is there anything about to drop that i should wait for, in that price range. im willing to increase my budget to 1000 is there is something really worth it. i watched a lot of reviews so far, but i still dont know they seem to be mixed.

any advice will be greatly appriciated thank you

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 50
So you have any idea about what sound signature you like?
The headphones you mention are pretty different, so any clue to what you prefer will make it easier to make recommendations.
So you the option to go listen to any sets?

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 50
You'll get better suggestions if you note what kind of music you like, how you'll be using the headphones (long seated sessions? gaming? movies? bopping around the house? possibly travel?), whether open-backs will disturb anyone around you. Do you wear glasses and need to think about clamping force?

One thing I've learned is that for me, comfort is very important -- one reason I enjoy my Audio-Technica ATH-R70X so much, because they feel weightless and give a good seal even around my glasses. (They also sound great).

If you're not the kind of person who wants 3/4 of a pound of electronics on your head, well, neither am I.

The ATH-R70X are around $350 and you can get a Schiit amp in the $100 range -- actually just $59 + shipping for the Magni Heretic https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-plus
Or $109 + shipping for the Vali 2+ tube amp, also under Last Call. Or, for portability, the VE Megatron, powered from USB.
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

If there's any place near you where you can try things, even if they're not the exact models you're looking at, you could learn some about how you want the headphones to sound and how they feel while you're using them.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 50
Desktop? Transportable? Open/closed back? If I had $600 and new to the hobby, I'd get HD660SV2 and an all in one dac/amp dx5.
If I had $1000? R.M.E adi-2 and Ibasso SR2.
Should cover most genres and music taste signatures

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #5 of 50
Transportable? I'd stick to those headphones and grab a Fiio Q7 for sure

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #6 of 50
So you have any idea about what sound signature you like?
not really no.
You'll get better suggestions if you note what kind of music you like, how you'll be using the headphones (long seated sessions? gaming? movies? bopping around the house? possibly travel?), whether open-backs will disturb anyone around you. Do you wear glasses and need to think about clamping force?
yes sorry, i listen to most kinds of music, hip hop, rock, metal, 80s and 90s stuff. and various international music like, but not limited to, Celentano. I am mostly gonna use them for music at a desk in a room where i wont be disturbing anyone with open backs. i guess the least clamping force would be ideal. i will look into your suggestion thank you for your reply.

Desktop? Transportable? Open/closed back? If I had $600 and new to the hobby, I'd get HD660SV2 and an all in one dac/amp dx5.
If I had $1000? R.M.E adi-2 and Ibasso SR2.
non transportable. i am kinda leaning to the hd600s2. headamp got em for 500. and as far as dac and amp i was looking at the woo w7(3rd gen) or geshelli js2(socketed) and Archel 3 Pro combo. or a dac offering from benchmark audio if i can afford it. the isasso sr2 looks interesting. i will look into it thank you. also will look at the dacs you mentioned. right now my dac/amp, soundblaster x7, should be good until i raise funds for an upgrade.

should i look at the focal celestee?? im trying to do like a one and done kinda thing. i dont wanna fall into another rabbit hole. thank you

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 50
The focal elex is the drop version of the clear, meant to be pretty good. I haven't heard it though.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 50
For closed I'd get a srh1540.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 50
sony mdr-mv1 released recently, for me it has great sound for music
i will look into this later on i havent seen these. thank you

The focal elex is the drop version of the clear, meant to be pretty good. I haven't heard it though.
oh nice i was looking at that along with the Elegia. there are so many options its overwhelming. will also look into srh1540. isnt open back better for music listening though? (edit: i just realized the celestee is closed back)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 50
Depends on everything really.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 50
The Celeste was closed so I recommend the srh. There is also an open version of the srh too, the 1840. Both quite cheap but punchy above their weight.

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 50
Hi @phantasmag0ria, I've distilled your requirements as follows:

my budget is around 500 to 600$ range.
im willing to increase my budget to 1000 is there is something really worth it.

my dac/amp is soundblaster x7.
looking to upgrade amp aswell (maybe tube)
and as far as dac and amp i was looking at the woo w7(3rd gen) or geshelli js2(socketed) and Archel 3 Pro combo. or a dac offering from benchmark audio if i can afford it.

i listen to most kinds of music, hip hop, rock, metal, 80s and 90s stuff. and various international music like, but not limited to, Celentano.

non transportable.
I am mostly gonna use them for music at a desk in a room where i wont be disturbing anyone with open backs.
i guess the least clamping force would be ideal.

im trying to do like a one and done kinda thing.

The one remaining pertinent question would be, what is your total budget for the whole system (both headphones and DAC/amp)?

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 50
The one remaining pertinent question would be, what is your total budget for the whole system (both headphones and DAC/amp)?
i guess about 2000 but i might be able to squeeze another 1000 if i wait a bit for the dac and amp. but if i can get some decent cans for 500 to 600 that would be ideal. there are focal clears on sale for 790 but its final sale i dont know what that is all about. but they saying its new. also there is a hd6602s for 500 also. im looking at reviews for ibasso and sony mdr-mv1 and shure 1540 Audio-Technica ATH-R70X right now. the dacs amps combos and dac/amps all-in-ones im looking at, but gonna get later on are all 1000 to 1500 range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back