Help advice needed
Jul 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Amsterdan

New Head-Fier
Hi all I'm new to the forum and could do with some advice. I'm trying to get a better sounding portable setup. I have some shure 535 reds with baldur mk2 cable paired with iPhone 4. Would it be better to get a different source ( cowon j3/x7) or use a iPhone/iPod classic with lod and a headphone amp. Any advice is welcome thanks :rolleyes:

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Your problem is going to be finding an amp that'll pair well with the SE535 Ltd.  I have a simialr set-up to you (SE535 Ltd and both iPod Touch G4 and iPhone4).  I have an arrow - and basically never use it for the Shures - I do use it quite a bit for my other full sized cans though.

The SE535 are simply too sensitive - unless you're going to an amp with a digital volume control.  Anything with a volume pot may get channel imbalance at low volume - and the SE535 are extremely sensitive.

Also - personal opinion - I found amping the 535 Ltd gives no advantage over straight out of the HP-Out of the IP4 anwyay.  Personally I think the SE535 Ltd out of the IP4 is a great match as-is.

Anyway - not sure what you're trying to achieve by amping.  If you want to alter the sound a lot - maybe look at different IEMs?

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 10
You guys make great points but I think that generally speaking what would sound better would be an iPhone 4 with an external amp through an LOD. Generally, how a headphone might gain from it like Brooko says will differ. I say this because the DAC section of the iPhone 4 has no real problems really, it is technically sound and actually decent if not good, add in a $200+ external amplifier I belive it can sound good.

O2 with iPhone 4S through LOD produces good results....although the wiring I have to go through as my O2 uses RCA component inputs gets a bit messy though especially on my small desk.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
You guys make great points but I think that generally speaking what would sound better would be an iPhone 4 with an external amp through an LOD. Generally, how a headphone might gain from it like Brooko says will differ. I say this because the DAC section of the iPhone 4 has no real problems really, it is technically sound and actually decent if not good, add in a $200+ external amplifier I belive it can sound good.

O2 with iPhone 4S through LOD produces good results....although the wiring I have to go through as my O2 uses RCA component inputs gets a bit messy though especially on my small desk.

Problem is that with the SE535 Ltd Ed, adding an amp is unnecessary with the IP4 simply because of it's sensitivity.  From my IP4 - with the IEMs just out of the HP out, any more than 25% of the IP4 volume is way too loud.  Like I said - I actually own both.

If you want to go ahead and get an amp/LOD - make sure you get something with digital vol control (eg Leckerton UHA-4) - otherwise channel imbalance is going to be an issue ......

Again though - IMO an amp isn't going to give you any better sound - and you can get colouration from a $4 iPhone app (Equaliser, EQu etc) instead.

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Hi all I'm new to the forum and could do with some advice. I'm trying to get a better sounding portable setup. I have some shure 535 reds with baldur mk2 cable paired with iPhone 4. Would it be better to get a different source ( cowon j3/x7) or use a iPhone/iPod classic with lod and a headphone amp. Any advice is welcome thanks
rolleyes.gif

Grab a Classic and use a dock to send optical out to a DAC and then an amplifier. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-iPhone-Hi-Fi-Quality-Output/dp/B0049MOK92

By the way, I have a Classic on eBay, if you're interested, PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back