Help buying a new pair of headphones? ($40 max)
Jul 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kalookakoo

New Head-Fier
I bought a JVC HA-S700 2 years ago and the wire finally died on me. I loved them. Bought them for 30 bucks or so at the time. Now I'm shopping for new headphones similar to those, but I don't want the same headphones again. I liked the fact that they were very flexible (folded in for travel, etc) and blocked out outside noise (but not to an extreme point where I couldn't hear if someone was trying to get my attention several feet from me.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 202's and don't like them. Random super long cord with gigantic piece of plastic where you are meant to wrap the excess wire, very rigid design; cant really put it in my backpack without probably breaking them, and the ear cups barely fit my ears and the earpads feel rough (though I guess that may change when I break it in.

Help? $30 price range only please. No more than 40.

Looking for closed, over ear (cup fits around ear) headphones please. I really liked how my old JVC's weren't rigid and could be folded/retracted to make storage and travel very easy.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I'm really disliking the drop of quality from these sennheisers.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Monoprice 8323's, $20 Over ear, detachable cable (2) and foldable. Great sound for the price.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 10
On-ear headphones
JVC HA-S400 folding headphones, really good sound quality for the price.

Jul 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 10
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Really hard to get a " Decent" Phone at $40...Your options are really limited for a full-size set. The Mentioned JVC are on ears.

You really have to find a deal, You could always look into a Sennheiser HD 419/28/39  The HD 439 being most likely the best for your needs, Full over ear/Velour Pads  2 cables 1 4ft.-1 10ft...But these will be TOP of your range, They had refurbs for 39.99 but those are long gone.  On ebay they are going for $45..  IMO the best you'll find at the $40 range.

Personally, If you could move up to $50 I'd recommend the TBSE.  Which will be MUCH better sounding then anything mentioned.
They are built like TANKS and sound great.  Lifetime warranty as well.  They'll last you awhile with no need for wanting an upgrade for awhile.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 10
+1 on the TBSE's I picked up mine for $30 on clearout.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Jul 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 10
Jul 24, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Really rather not spend more than 40. Buying the headphones alone is a splurge at the moment.

Anyone know how the JVC HA-S600 match up to 700's?

I contemplated the monoprice's 2 years ago, but in the end they just seemed to large and blocky for my tastes.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I bought a JVC HA-S700 2 years ago and the wire finally died on me. I loved them. Bought them for 30 bucks or so at the time. Now I'm shopping for new headphones similar to those, but I don't want the same headphones again. I liked the fact that they were very flexible (folded in for travel, etc) and blocked out outside noise (but not to an extreme point where I couldn't hear if someone was trying to get my attention several feet from me.

I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 202's and don't like them. Random super long cord with gigantic piece of plastic where you are meant to wrap the excess wire, very rigid design; cant really put it in my backpack without probably breaking them, and the ear cups barely fit my ears and the earpads feel rough (though I guess that may change when I break it in.

Help? $30 price range only please. No more than 40.

Looking for closed, over ear (cup fits around ear) headphones please. I really liked how my old JVC's weren't rigid and could be folded/retracted to make storage and travel very easy.

I'm not much of an audiophile, but I'm really disliking the drop of quality from these sennheisers.

here you go.  I have NO idea why these haven't been snagged up yet?????
http://www.head-fi.org/t/671630/fs-koss-pro-dj100-w-m50-pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back