Help choosing budget in-ears/IEMs for cycling
Sep 23, 2020 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

alicedc

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone!:) I'm a complete newbie who's been searching around for new in-earphones or IEMs

I mainly listen to music or podcasts when cycling so I'd like it to have some noise isolation from wind and also some water resistance from rain.

I'm also gonna use it for my nintendo switch and everyday phone calls, which is why I need a wired set and mic.

I'm quite eclectic in music genres (metal/eletronic/kpop/etc) so something balanced in sound, or close to that, would be nice

My budget is quite low, up to 50euros/60usd at most, but preferably less and I have to prioritize durability over sound quality ):

These are some names that have popped in my searches and their prices from amazon.de:

- KZ ZST €18,52
- KZ ZSN €19,99
- Sennheiser CX300s €24,35
- Sennheiser CX2.00 €27,10
- MEE M6 Pro 2 €38,62
- KZ ZS10 €39,00
- SoundMAGIC E10C €39,99
- SoundMAGIC E11C €49,99

Which of these would you recommend getting?
Are the more expensive ones really worth the price difference?

Thank you all in advance 🙏🙏🙏

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 7
Most IEMs will have noise isolation to one degree or another. Very very few allow ambient sound (Westone AM pro series is one of the few, but $$$).

As far as water resistance and microphones, I don't think you'll find any that do both. At least I can't think of any that do.

H2oaudio makes some waterproof IEM's that have a neutral (flat) signature but no microphone.

I think your best bet will be sticking with IEMs that do not have 'BA' drivers which are more sensitive to moisture and ones that do not have a cloth mesh nozzle filter.

For a cheap ones to try there is the new KZ EDX which is a single dynamic and about $7 with a microphone cable. May be a tad v-shaped and bright for podcasts but may also be ok. Depends on what you prefer sound signature wise.

If you want a harman curve type tuning and also cheap, you can find a legit Sony MH750 set from reseller's on eBay. I got a legit pair from the seller 'zaxis1' who is UK based. They go for about $8-13 USD.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey everyone!:) I'm a complete newbie who's been searching around for new in-earphones or IEMs

I mainly listen to music or podcasts when cycling so I'd like it to have some noise isolation from wind and also some water resistance from rain.

I'm also gonna use it for my nintendo switch and everyday phone calls, which is why I need a wired set and mic.

I'm quite eclectic in music genres (metal/eletronic/kpop/etc) so something balanced in sound, or close to that, would be nice

My budget is quite low, up to 50euros/60usd at most, but preferably less and I have to prioritize durability over sound quality ):

These are some names that have popped in my searches and their prices from amazon.de:

- KZ ZST €18,52
- KZ ZSN €19,99
- Sennheiser CX300s €24,35
- Sennheiser CX2.00 €27,10
- MEE M6 Pro 2 €38,62
- KZ ZS10 €39,00
- SoundMAGIC E10C €39,99
- SoundMAGIC E11C €49,99

Which of these would you recommend getting?
Are the more expensive ones really worth the price difference?

Thank you all in advance 🙏🙏🙏

Have u considered some TWS wireless sets?

They have no cable and so may be more convenient for cycling. Some of em have ANC or ambient mode, depending on what u need too, and most have some degree of waterproofing. Though in general, the wired gear tends to sound better than TWS types.

Sep 23, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 7

They have no cable and so may be more convenient for cycling. Some of em have ANC or ambient mode, depending on what u need too, and most have some degree of waterproofing. Though in general, the wired gear tends to sound better than TWS types.

She may want to avoid Bluetooth TWS if she is using it for gaming on the switch. The audio delay may be too much.

Plus the anc/ambient is generally useless when cycling due to excessive wind noise generated by the microphones.

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Most IEMs will have noise isolation to one degree or another. Very very few allow ambient sound (Westone AM pro series is one of the few, but $$$).

As far as water resistance and microphones, I don't think you'll find any that do both. At least I can't think of any that do.

H2oaudio makes some waterproof IEM's that have a neutral (flat) signature but no microphone.

I think your best bet will be sticking with IEMs that do not have 'BA' drivers which are more sensitive to moisture and ones that do not have a cloth mesh nozzle filter.

For a cheap ones to try there is the new KZ EDX which is a single dynamic and about $7 with a microphone cable. May be a tad v-shaped and bright for podcasts but may also be ok. Depends on what you prefer sound signature wise.

If you want a harman curve type tuning and also cheap, you can find a legit Sony MH750 set from reseller's on eBay. I got a legit pair from the seller 'zaxis1' who is UK based. They go for about $8-13 USD.

Thank you so much for the reply!

I didn't know that about the drivers, I'll certainly keep an eye on that and the models you mentioned (:)
and thank you for the seller recommendation too!

Sep 24, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 7

I was thinking about TWS at first, but like assassin10000 said, since I want to use on my switch I decided to stick to wired ☺️
but thanks for the suggestion!

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Hello alicedc, not the answer you want but I´d recommend against wearing any IEM / Headphone whilst cycling, listening to music or podcasts may distract you from what is going on around you and may also prevent you from being able to hear the approach of other vehicles and thus jeopardise your own safety, I had a close encounter with a car once and that was walking, I was so enthralled with the music and my own thoughts I didn´t see it or hear it, luckily the driver saw me and managed to break and nothing happened, I just had to endure his "dude, What the hell!" face whilst he was pointing to his ears :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back