help choosing my first set of custom IME
Jun 30, 2013 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sy0296

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I need some guidance choosing my first set of custom IME.

I've had some experiences with IMEs in the past but I always went back to full size cans due to discomfort after long listening sessions.  I currently own shure e500, UE triplefi 10, etymotic er4-s and use them interchangeably depending on if I'm bringing an amp and also for different types of music.  I find the e500 a big bright somethings but is great for pop/rock when I feel like it.  The Triplefi 10 to me is a bit bass heavy but great for vocals/jazz/R&B; it gets the most use.  The Ety's were my first set of IMEs but they are too dry and only liven up with when amped.  I do like them for vocal, light jazz, bossa nova, instrumental, etc (I feel the timbre on the ety's are most accurate when I care to listen for it...but they get boring after a while).

I will primary use them when i'm traveling (planes, subways, buses, boat rides) when it's not convenient to bring full size cans and I listen to a wide genre of music except electronic and hip-hop/rap.

Based on a bunch of reading here and on other sites, I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Westone ES5 and the JH Audio JH13pro FreqPhase.

I do prefer a more forward and warm sound.  To give you an idea of what's working for me right now, at home i'm listening on a set of Grado RS1 with a Benchmarch dac1 dac/amp combo.  When traveling, and I can bring full size cans, I using the Beyerdynamic T5P.  

After reading a bunch of subjective listening review, I'm torn between the two above mentioned IMEs.  I'm worried that the JH13pro might be overly bright or dry, but at the same time I also worry the the RS5 will be overly "coloring" and bass heavy.

Any suggestions other than buying both?  :)

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 4
cliff's version:
- I can't decide between the ES5 and JH13 Pro FreqPhase.
- The type of sound I prefer is forward+warm.  
- The Grado RS1 has been my favorite headphones so looking something that has a similar sound

Any advise?

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Or for a cheap try get the tf10's reshelled into customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back