Help Deciding on an Under 200
Jul 20, 2018 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wowsee

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

sorry if this post is a little ill-informed, I'm really new to a lot of this, but basically I'm here looking for a recommendation or resources to help me make a decision on a first set of good headphones. I have a general idea of what I want but I'm awful at deciding on anything, but basically I'm looking for a pretty solid pair of under $200 open back cans. I'll be mostly using them in my apartment, so I'm not really concerned about sound leakage, but I'm looking for something I can use for gaming as well as just listening to music, mainly R&B, Hip-Hop, Rap, Pop, and Electronic. I guess in terms of my priorities, they'd look something like this:

1. A wide, open, airy soundstage.
    • This is mostly about gaming, but also I really love when I listen to music and it feels like I'm physically present in the middle of the action. I played breath of the wild once on some Grado SR80e's and I don't think I'll ever be able to go back that was so addictive. One of my most memorable experiences was trying out the sennheiser 3d sound iem's once and feeling like I was in the middle of an imaginary room, able to identify with almost certainty where a sound came from in the room like it actually originated in that part of the room. I'd love to be able to experience that but with some quality over-ear headphones.
  2. Clarity and Detail
    • Jut like a lot of other people the reason I wanted to try to explore the audiophile community was because I tried audiophile-grade headphones once and now I keep finding that stuff I was using before is just inadequate. The first thing I noticed after trying my first pair of magnetic planars was just how clearly I could make out individual sounds and how real they sounded. That's why a lot of the cans I'm looking at are magnetic planars because I love the clarity they provide so much. I also really appreciate being able to hear the breathiness and warmth in a singer's voice or a wind instrument.
  3. Clear bass/sub bass
    • I don't wanna say I'm looking for a V because I appreciate mids as much as any other person, but when bass packs a solid punch I have to say it really gets to me. I'm not saying just like way too much bass that interrupts other parts of the audio or anything boxy with lots of reverberation, I just like a solid, defined kinda smack you can feel, if that makes any sense? When I can hear the sharp hit of a snare or a hi-hat it feels really good.
  4. Comfort
    • I don't wanna seem too fragile, but I will be wearing these at home for hours while doing work or gaming for long periods of time. I don't have much of a standard, I just really don't like it when the band of a pair of headphones pinch my ears like a clamp and it gives me a headache. For example, I love the soundstage and bass clarity I get from SR80e's (borrowing a pair right now) but as I'm typing this I can't even finish an album before getting a headache. the on ear foam pads are extremely comfortable, but it feels like the band is a spring pushing down on my ears until circulation cuts off. I can't tell if it's because the way the on-ear pads push down on my ears instead of cup the surrounding area or if the band has too much tension or both.
Given those priorities, I might just be way off the mark but a few I'm considering right now are:
  • Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX
  • Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX
  • Massdrop x AKG K7XX
  • Monolith by Monoprice M560
  • Monolith by Monoprice M565
  • Audio Technica ATH-AD700X
  • Xiaomi Headphones - 2nd Generation
    • Heard about these once though they seem really obscure so I'm unsure. The tech seems interesting and I'd love to hear if anyone has notable experiences with them
  • Beyerdynamic DT 990
  • Grado SR 225e
Of course though, I'm open to any and all suggestions if there are any good ones I missed. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to responses!

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 12
Scratch off the AD700X (too bass light) and HD 6XX (not the open airy sound you are looking for.

Every possible choice in this price range has a compromise just so you know. The closest match to what you want is probably either the K7XX (lacking on sub bass and for all I know you crave more/betyer bass than it can deliver) or maybe the HE 4XX (if this is an HE-400 rebranded then ticks most marks but does have recessed upper mids).

Jul 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 12
If I were you I would pick the AKG K712 PRO.
+ Big soundstage
+ Present and extended but not overpowering bass
+ Great clarity and instrument separation
+ Light and comfortable (in my experience)

Not sure if you can find it under 200 though.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 12
Philips Fidelio X2 perhaps? It's going to be easier to drive than the others listed. Can be found for 200 if you are willing to go used in great condition.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 12
Fidelio X2 or 32 ohm DT990.
Many of the headphones you listed,especially the Senns and AKGs require an amp to make the purchase worthwhile.
The X2 and 32ohm Beyer do not need an amp,but an amp of course will help.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 12
What headphones has the sub bass you are looking for in your new ones?

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 12
I think you're price point looking for ALL of these things is unrealistic. You're going to have to do some balancing.
  1. A wide, open, airy soundstage - If this is for gaming, there's really two functions being served here: stage size and imaging. I personally find I can sacrifice stage size entirely if the imaging is dead on. You need to figure out if you want one of either or both.
  2. Clarity and Detail
  3. Clear bass/sub bass - Often get a more pronounced bass from closed back headphones, which directly conflicts with point one. Not always, but a general principle of bass.
  4. Comfort - A good bass often comes with a tight seal of the cup, either from extraordinary pads, which don't often come in this price range, or clamping force, which sets this at odds with point 3.
The Philips X2 check a few of these boxes, but are getting harder to find affordably, and aren't the most comfy due to weight. Also not the clearest or most detailed.
The HE4xx are actually my pick for best all-rounders in your list, but their soundstage isn't the biggest, and they aren't the most accurate in imaging. The comfort seems to be hit or miss. (I actually prefer the he400i, but the 4xx is close enough)

honestly, the only thing I can think of that ticks ALL of these is the TH900 (maybe LCD2c), which isn't in your budget. Maybe a T50rp, but they'll need an amp.
People crap on them, but I think the HD6xx are perfectly fine for gaming. The bass isn't the best, but their imaging is, to my ears, much more effective than the K712s, and the stage is sufficiently big. I had all sorts of audio miscues based on weird elevation from the K712s. But as others mentioned, an amp is needed.

If you'd had an amp, I would have recommended the used ATH-r70x, but that just isn't in the cards I guess. The ATH-M40x is all right, but the clamping pressure is a bit tight, and I don't know if their bass would satisfy you.

Jul 24, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I understand since under $200 isn't the greatest price range I'll probably be making quite a few sacrifices and I don't need to really check all the boxes. They're listed in order of importance so I don't expect the perfect fit.

Weight isn't too much of an issue for me, usually what I find more painful is the clamping force though I do understand that gives rise to good base. Honestly I think for my issues with the grado sr80e's it might just be the fact the cups clamp down your whole ear rather than over your ear that i find headache-inducing. That's why I was thinking about the SR225e's since they have cups that go a little more over your ears.

It's seeming that a lot of you are saying that the fidelio x2's are a pretty nice fit, I think I'll try to check them out at a guitar center or some other place to see for myself, but if the clarity and detail is lacking I'd probably emphasize headphones with better clarity. Plus it does seem harder and harder to find them at a fair price. How is the clarity, imaging, and soundstage on the 32 ohm DT990?

As for stage size and imaging, I agree that if imaging is spot on I could definitely go with a smaller stage. Having a larger stage size feels great in my opinion when listening to music but in terms of gaming and daily use imaging definitely comes first for me as well.

I can definitely sacrifice a little bit of bass if the cans are extremely good when it comes to imaging and clarity, since that's a lot more important to me. I'm not looking for something with extremely strong reverberating bass like I get from a lot of closed back cans, plus if I ever do plan on getting an amp I can tweak the bass output if need be, but at the moment at least the first 2 points are definitely the most important to me. I feel like overall I do like a good amount of bass but what's more important is clarity, I just really appreciate when the bass comes through super clear rather than being sorta muffled. I'm sorry I don't really have any comparisons I could make since I haven't tried too many headphones, all I know right now is that the sr80e's are nearly there in terms of bass and sub bass but the senns kinda miss the mark.

My impression with the HE4xx's were that they had really good clarity because of the magnetic planar drivers, that would be the primary reason I'd look to them over the fidelio x2's unless the imaging and soundstage are leagues better. Plus I have heard good reviews on them being relatively easy to drive without an amp. Has anyone heard anything good about the under $200 monoprice monolith series open back cans over the hifiman 4xx's? Honestly those and the 4xx's mostly caught my mind because from what I've heard you don't get magnetic planars at that price range often. I understand that many magnetic planars can be set back when it comes to bass, but again if they make up for setbacks with good clarity and imaging then I'm set. Unless I'd be wrong in assuming that these magnetic planars have improved clarity over dynamic drivers?

The akg K712's seem really nice in terms of design. They definitely look light and comfortable which is a big plus, but would the K7xx's be close to them at all? If the K7xx's (or any other options for that matter) are great but just need an amp to make them shine, I'm okay with biding my time for a short while until I can get a reasonable amp. A used ATH-r70x does sound nice if they tick the first two boxes, but from what I can see even used don't they tend to go for around $250?

I've heard a lot about the ATH-M40x's but how's the soundstage? They're closed right? I usually gravitate towards opened backs for the imaging and soundstage.

Sorry, I'm super indecisive, but I really wanna make sure I can find the right headphones at least in terms of imaging and clarity.

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 12
The X2's are alright on details and clarity, but not class leading for the price. They just do a lot right without much sacrifice. I don't think they image any better than the others, but the stage size is pretty second only to the K7xx and K712 probably.

The 4xx image decently well, well enough for video games, but again not class leading. I haven't heard the Monolith planars yet to compare.

The k712s have a massive soundstage, they're light, they're comfortable, I think they do clarity and detail better than most in the price category (I think the planars still top it). They're slightly bass shy, and at least my copy had issues with imaging. And they work best with an amp. The K7xx were designed to bring the k702 closer to the k712 tuning. It's not an exact copy but it's in the neighborhood.

Jul 24, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 12
K7XX is supposed to be a warmer and slightly less detail oriented version of the more analytical K712 PRO

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 12
ATH M40x's with ZMF Cowhide oval pads (~150-180$).
Pros:
  • Clear, and detailed sound (for the price range).
  • The ZMF's are extremely comfortable pads (after they're broken in).
  • Bass is good and clear.
  • They're flat (can be pro or con, depends on you).
  • In budget.
Cons:
  • The pads are very thick, like very very thick, about a knuckle thick. Basically you won't want to take these out because you will look like an absolute idiot.
  • Closed-back so soundstage is.. well, not really a selling point, but the pads do help a ton with the soundstage. But still not opened-backed levels (obviously).
Overall, a great starting point.

k712s Pro (~380$).
Pros:
  • Very clear and detailed sound.
  • Great soundstage (open-back)
  • Very nice design
  • Comfortable
Cons:
  • Need an AMP to get the best experience (Obviously not required, but highly recommended for these headphones).
  • Weak bass.
  • Expensive.
More work then 'fun' headphones. This doesn't make them bad headphones at all though.

HE-500's (~400-500 used/'new').
Pros:
  • Very clear and detailed sound.
  • Amazing bass and sub-bass
  • Great soundstage (open-back)
Cons:
  • Crappy wire and pads, but be careful with pads and do your research, some pads ruin the sound entirely.
  • NEED AN AMP, SOUND AWFUL WITHOUT.
  • Expensive.
These sound so ****ing good, and these should be what you're trying to reach.
These are fun headphones, and not serious.

You should also look into some of the other headphones suggested to you and decide. Remember It is your choice at the end of the day.
I personally think that the ATH M40X's are a great place to start from and expand outwards from.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back