HELP!!!! DECISION TO BUY CIEM (ALCLAIR) OR WESTONE W3
Jan 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

howdy

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=11pt]I have a quick decision to make; I’m looking at purchasing either some Westone W3s or some Alclair duals XB customs. I really only want them to be fun with great SQ, which I believe they would both have. The main purpose of these would be recreational, the music I listen to is pretty much everything BUT rap. I want low bass with great response and nice highs and mids. A little separation is great. I will go with what everyone recommends as I think I would be happy either way. I don’t have any customs, I do have some Triple fi10s with Chris himself cables, I listen to these when at home with my Cowon d3. Thanks in advance for the suggestions; I will be buying these tomorrow or Friday[/size].

Thanks, Andy

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 15
The Westone 3 is not a custom. Totally different ballgames. What do you want? A universal or a custom? 

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 15
I know westone is not a custom, im just trying to decied between the two, i know that they could have two totally differnt sound signatures that is why im asking for everones help.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 15
Well I can only comment on the Westone 3. Seems like you want a good all-rounder earphone for your all your genres of music. If you like nice mids, I'd look at the W4 over the W3 if you can swing it. Big gains in soundstage and instrument separation as well. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 15
I don't know anything about the Alclair. Someone else will be able to help you out. Seems like both earphones are fairly v-shaped FR's. I would think the matter of it being a custom or a universal would be the largest difference. I personally found the highs of the W3 a tad hot for me, personally, but I am sensitive to sibilance. I don't think the W3 is the greatest all-rounder. Looked at the GR07?

Jan 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
are the Westone um3x any better for all around sound.

That's a personal preference. A lot of people think so. I would think so, but I haven't heard them - only read about them. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 15
To be honest my friend, what are you trying to achieve? If you love the TF10, what are you seeking to gain? The W3, and I would assume the Alclair would not be much of an upgrade, but maybe a bit different sound. The TF10 is a fine earphone. I don't think the W3 or Alclair is necessarily better. Besides, it's more of the same frequency response - V-shaped. What are you looking to do? 

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 15
i have owned w3 and w4 and auditioned the um3x.
the um3x is my fav for its clarity and less sibilance.
however, it has an intimate soundstage, so not for everyone.
w3 is more fun, w4 more technical.

cant say much about the triple fis. i have heard them, but never compared them to westones side by side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back