Help finding a full size headphone for my cranky ears
Apr 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dutchgenius

New Head-Fier
This might be a wild goose chase, but I am trying to find a decent set of headphones that will not kill my sensitive ears or raging OCD.  Here is what I am looking for:

Price - preferably under $100, I know this is tight but I can probably stretch it to $150 if it is my only option
Size - large over ear, I have an industrial piercing and stretched earlobes (not huge and not planning to go over 00) but still would like something that can fit around them if possible (or if you have the worlds most comfortable on ear headphones or other suggestion, I am listening - I just can't do pressure on the upper cartilage)
Pads - preferably cloth (less sweat) or at least real leather, I prefer to not have the wrinkly cheap pleather that peels off eventually
Sound - open back is better for gaming, but closed back is better for my marriage and keeping the kids asleep, I would consider either
Use - Music, PC gaming, occasional movies through my laptop
Source - USB sound card, probably going to be an Asus Xonar U3 (I don't want to have to deal with amplification)
Music Tastes - Rock, metal, occasional rap and techno

Previous Products:

JVC HA-RX900 (great sounding, good bass, quality leather pads, a bit tight on my lobes and cartilage BEFORE I had piercings so they would not even fit now, eventually got heavy after prolonged use)

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro (solid sound, good fit around my head, decently lightweight, cheap ear pads, wont fit my industrial piercing now)

I would be more than willing to consider something out of my close-minded frame of reference like perhaps a solid IEM (not sure how good the soundstage is for gaming though) or even an on-ear that is uber comfortable (I have heard the Creative Aurvana Live is this way) but ear comfort is the #1 issue I am dealing with now... and not a lot of places give you the opportunity to try headphones on before you buy them (or at least I don't know of any of these places.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 3
how do the ear cups compare in size to the Creative Aurvana Live?  My lobes are only going to get bigger, so I am concerned about going to an over ear design that barely clears (like a Sennheiser potentially) when I can do to a hybrid around/on ear like the CAL which is super plush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back