**Help finding RCA/usb high quality cables**
Jun 4, 2012 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
I've finally switched over to a dedicated amp and dac. I've always had a combo unit until now. I need the following:

*a very short, say 1.5 ft, rca cable

*a 3-6 ft. thick usb cable

I want high quality flexible cables. It would be nice if they were the same brand to give a nice look. I don't want anything stupid expensive. Just good stuff to give nice quality for my amp dac. The ones that I have now work, but they are way too long and look cheap.

thanks...

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 7
MonoPrice has sizes down to 1.5ft for most cables they make; you can also check Amazon and see what they have on closeout/sale under SRP (the Belkin PureAV stuff usually goes for peanuts). If you find anything shorter than 1.5ft - let me know. :xf_eek:

In terms of overall feel, the MonoPrice premium stuff is RG6, and is usually pretty rigid out of the box. The PureAV stuff has a nice textured jacket and is more flexible, it's also likely lower gauge wire (not that it matters); I like the Belkin TOSlink cables because they behave like normal wire and not rigid plastic.

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, I bet the Monoprice Premium Analog RCA Cable would work for you.  $2.28 for the 1.5 foot cable.  :)  

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=2

It's 22AWG cable, so I don't know about the flexibility.  I do have a RCA to 3.5mm cable from their premium line, and it seems flexible enough.

Blue Jeans Cable can also get you a 1.5 for RCA cable.  Price is around $30.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 7
+1 for Monoprice cables.  I haven't had any quality control issues with them so far.  I've been purchasing the "Premium" RCA interconnects from them.
They have the design features I want and build quality so far has been good.  They are RG-59 as I recall.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I ordered the monoprice cable. Thanks for the info guys!! Looks like THE place to buy cables

I'm in the same boat at the moment and am looking at the monoprice premium cables too.  One of the reviews says that the 1.5ft is pretty rigid so not sure if it would work with the dac stacked on the amp.  The length is right but not sure if it can make the sharp bend without putting stress on the components.

Which did you go with MattTCG?  The 1.5' for 3' premium?  Did you find that it was flexible enough without stressing the connections?

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 7
The Monoprice Premium stuff is fairly rigid, yes. I find that it gets somewhat more flexible with use, but it's pretty heavy stock (it's like RG-59 iirc). You can sort of "bend it" to fit though, but it will exert some outward pressure. I don't think it'd be an issue going between shelves, but a small stack of equipment with only a few inches between the RCA jacks might be a little much to ask. The most flexible cables I've found thus far are Belkin's PureAV line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back