Help! HD518 vs HD558 vs HE-300 vs K701/Q701
Aug 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

FCO2013

100+ Head-Fier
So I've narrowed down my choices of a possible headphone upgrade, but I'm not sure how they stack up against each other. They all fit my criteria of being an open/semi-open circumaural headphone, but I'd like to know which one is "better" than the others. I listen to mostly alternative rock, classical, and jazz if it helps.

Any insight?

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 21
I'm going to guess the AKG Q701 is a good choice.
Hopefully you have a decent headphone amplifier to drive them.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
 I don't own an amp (yet) since the headphones I have now are all easy to drive. Do you have any recommendations on a good amp, that's not too pricey?

Is the amp. for computer use? portable audio player? etc.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
It would be for home use. Though I'm okay with using a portable amp too if it will get the job done fairly well for less.

Fiio E11 amp.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
Okay, thanks! I've also heard some good things about the E6, would that also be a viable choice?

Fiio E6 might work, i bought the E6 last week and it can decently drive my 250-ohm headphones (surprised me).

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
Ahh okay, thank you for your input! I'll probably pick up the E6 sometime soon. One quick thing though, do you think the E10 would be good for use with a portable device?

Nope. the Fiio E10 use a USB (Digital) input, portables normally output an analog (wave) signal (3.5mm, mini-jack).

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 21
I think of those the best choice would be the AKGs. The HE-300s have had mixed reviews that vary from very negative to fairly positive. The AKGs have a reputation for being a very accurate albeit somewhat hard to drive headphone; the general consensus is on the good side of positive and at worst people will say that the headphones are not to their tastes rather than being objectively not good.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
Nope. the Fiio E10 use a USB (Digital) input, portables normally output an analog (wave) signal (3.5mm, mini-jack).

Gotcha, thank you again for all the help!
Quote:
I think of those the best choice would be the AKGs. The HE-300s have had mixed reviews that vary from very negative to fairly positive. The AKGs have a reputation for being a very accurate albeit somewhat hard to drive headphone; the general consensus is on the good side of positive and at worst people will say that the headphones are not to their tastes rather than being objectively not good.

Well, I found a pair of AKG K240 Monitors in my house haha, I think I'll just buy an amp for these, and skip on purchasing headphones this time around. Thanks for your help though!

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Gotcha, thank you again for all the help!
Well, I found a pair of AKG K240 Monitors in my house haha, I think I'll just buy an amp for these, and skip on purchasing headphones this time around. Thanks for your help though!

AKG K240 Monitor (600-Ohm) or K240 studio (55-Ohm)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back