Help! How to Diagnose Cause of Death of UM3X - Want to Reshell
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

A_Dying_Wren

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. My UM3X, non-removable cable, has recently totally stopped functioning on the left side. The right side seems to be as normal. Multiple sources confirm this and no amount of wiggling the cable helps. I took reasonably good care of them, always curling the wires and never bending. However, they died a short while after I washed the cable taking care not to let water touch the earphone itself. I'm wondering if the cable or the 3.5mm jack got corroded.

I think I might try to reshell them but I'm looking for any hopefully not too complex/expensive way to verify if the drivers are still working before I do so. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hi. My UM3X, non-removable cable, has recently totally stopped functioning on the left side. The right side seems to be as normal. Multiple sources confirm this and no amount of wiggling the cable helps. I took reasonably good care of them, always curling the wires and never bending. However, they died a short while after I washed the cable taking care not to let water touch the earphone itself. I'm wondering if the cable or the 3.5mm jack got corroded.

I think I might try to reshell them but I'm looking for any hopefully not too complex/expensive way to verify if the drivers are still working before I do so. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

It's most likely cable/connector related. Send it off to btg audio. They will diagnose and recable/make detachable cable for $45, which is half of the price of making a custom mold.

Jun 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 3
I probably do want to reshell them though. Might be worth it to recable first to check everything's working. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back