Help me buy my first HQ Headphones.
Oct 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jayvee

New Head-Fier
Firstly, I'm not looking for donations, just advice.

- Budget of $200.
- Closed back are preferable for what I'd be using them for.
- This is my first venture into a decent pair of cans.

I've obviously heard about the ATH-M50s due to the rave and have considered those as a possibility, but I'm not positive if they're what I'm looking for yet. I have a relatively broad range of music styles I listen to, and that's what's really getting me with making a decision. I enjoy bass driven music when I'm at the gym, and that's a big part of what I'd be using them for. Probably 1/3 of my music is DnB, Dubstep, and the likes. However I'm also constantly listening to music at home as well. I do a lot of work online while listening to music and I'm sick of the low quality headphones I have now. When I'm not lifting I tend to lean towards the rock genres; anywhere from Metallica, to Coheed and Cambria, to Mumford and Sons. 

Basically being unable to test most of these out before purchasing them is giving me a really hard time making a decision. I'm looking for something that will wow me, and that probably won't take much as I'm upgrading from $20 Sennheisers. I want something that can give me that crisp bass at the gym but at the same time perform well with the highs and mids when I switch into a different mood. I can't sacrifice quality highs and mids for great bass, nor visa versa.

I'm indecisive. 

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 18
Don't take full-sized headphones to the gym. Won't work out. M50s in my experience were terrible and the leather pads aren't as breathable as the HD25 velour, but even that isn't saying too much.

Try IEMs for exercise.

Otherwise, it seems like you would need an energetic signature that seems to fit the HD25s very well. They are $200 and are a do-it-all headphone.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 18
Yeah, I mean I have some IEMS as well specifically for cardio. Sometimes when I'm lifting I just get sick of having them in my ear. I forgot to mention I do a lot of work on the computer as well, which in most I'm listening to music while doing so. That's the main reason I'm looking for full-sized phones.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 18
Shure SRH840

I have them and love them. Pretty balanced. They could use a little more bass, but overall great. Very comfy on the head for hours. They come with a carrying bag and extra pads. I got the straight cable from Shure cause I am not a fan of coiled cables. 

I am "Shure" you can get them for around $175. Retail is $199.99

Best of luck to you in your search!

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 18
M audio Q-40's or the Ultrasone HFI-580. Nice bass and mids, i like it over the M50. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Don't take full-sized headphones to the gym. Won't work out. M50s in my experience were terrible and the leather pads aren't as breathable as the HD25 velour, but even that isn't saying too much.

Try IEMs for exercise.

Otherwise, it seems like you would need an energetic signature that seems to fit the HD25s very well. They are $200 and are a do-it-all headphone.

X2

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 18
Good recommendation, and you should be able to get them for around $130 actually.

On top of that, I would define the SRH840's bass presentation as "neutral" -- but if you don't mind or want less bass, the KRK KNS 6400 sound just like the Shure SRH840 but with less bass.

Quote:
Shure SRH840

I have them and love them. Pretty balanced. They could use a little more bass, but overall great. Very comfy on the head for hours. They come with a carrying bag and extra pads. I got the straight cable from Shure cause I am not a fan of coiled cables. 

I am "Shure" you can get them for around $175. Retail is $199.99

Best of luck to you in your search!

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 18
The SRH840s are actually what I'm leaning towards right now after doing the research on a lot of the models mentioned in this thread, as well as looking at other headphones that were compared to them. The sound signature seems to be more of what I'm looking for.

I've checked out the HD25s, problem is I'm not really too fond of the smaller build headphones I'd definitely rather the "over the ear" feel than the "on the ear" feel. Mobility would be nice, but It's not worth sacrificing the quality of the larger headphones as the majority of the time I'll be using them sitting at my PC.

Thanks for all of the replys regardless though, It's helping me get a leg up in finding models that I haven't heard of before and giving me more options. I really appreciate it.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 18
OOPS...I didnt noticed the exercise part in the OP. I would actually lean toward other cans than the 840's. Thats the reason I have them now. My sister bought them for exercising and they wouldnt stay on her head. I borrowed them until she could sell them. She never got the sale so she just told me to keep them. I havent had any experience with any other headphones so I really dont have any other recommendations. Sry for any confusion. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 18
Look at the Ultrasone 780s. Much better for rock over the 580s--the frequency response is less V-shaped. But still has some very good bass for EDM type stuff. 

Still, if you are mostly into rock when listening to music at home, the Grado SR-80is are amazing for rock. I turn to the Grados since I got them much more than my Ultrasone 780s except for listening to bass heavy stuff. Could be worth getting a pair of them for the house and then some fun bass headphones like the Sony XB-700s for the gym and really when in the mood for DnB. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 18
I suppose it would've been wise for me to clarify that in the occasion that I'd take them to the gym would be strictly for resistance training, obviously not cardio. I wouldn't be jumping around and what not just lifting.

Still researching... I wish more than anything I could test a few pairs before I made a purchase.

Oct 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 18
Don't recommend full size for gym - the only full sized headphone I have managed to use at gym has been my Bose Triports so far. Look into the Denon Exercise Freaks for IEM - built for that.

At $200

- KRK KNS 6400/8400 (balanced and quite fast - although bit lacking on bass impact but have solid extension both ways and really good timbre)
- Ultrasone HFI models from Amazon - depending on which one you can get and preference wise of course.
- Used Denon D2000 here at head-fi, I've seen them around $220 a lot (huge sub-bass, quite balanced, vocals are good - excellent all rounder if you can swing that - works quite good with electronica - although at times seems to luck the mid-bass punch for some stuff, but for DNB it's perfect with the sub-bass and treble response - also the best soundstage of all I mentioned)
- Q-40 - best to audition these if you can (I don't where you live, but in USA and Canada, you can usually find these along with KRK's on display at places like Best Buy

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 18
Ultrasone HFI-580 or HFI-780. The HFI-580 is more bass emphasized, which makes them better performing for EDM, while the HFI-780 is a bit more balanced, handling a wider range of genres as well as still being a good performer with EDM, given the Ultrasone house sound. They are enjoyable without additional amping, but they definitely benefit from a headphone amp. Base headphone amps you should be looking for (not anything below) are PA2V2 and Fiio E11.

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #15 of 18
I'm gonna have to vote against the HFI-580 for portable use. They only come with a 9ft cable.
There are 4ft cable versions for the HFI-780 though I'm not sure they'd be comfortable at the gym.
From the past experience the earpads tend to slide off the head quite easily (why I bought the velours 
wink.gif
).
I think the hd25 should be at the top of your list. The splitting headband will keep them in place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back