Help me Buy Speakers!
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
It's Mysteek here ^_^ I return with the need of buying new speakers. I will try my best to give out as much detail as possible with regards to my situation.

Here goes:

I feel that the Swan M10's aren't enough for me and they're also inconvenient to have a sub on my desk. They seem to be missing something I cannot pinpoint--I guess they just don't sound full to me. Ontop of that, there just isn't enough room for big speakers let alone a sub in front of me.

I *think* I'm going to get Asus' Xonar DX to use with the new pair (but feel free to recommend another SC, I currently use X-Fi Xtreme Music). My budget will be under $200. I can stretch it a bit if absolutely needed.

My tastes--I like rock and electronica. I like bass and midrange as well.

I'm a complete noobcake at this, so I think I need to have powered/active speakers? I've been told the Acculine A1 speakers sound like Grado headphones, which makes me smile =] I love the Grado sound a lot (I own the SR325i) but I think I need an amp for these?

Please guide me. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you all.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 32
If a speaker set is labeled as powered or self powered, amps are not needed because it contains an integrated amp.

A1 should be good for your tastes but you're going to want a subwoofer with that which might stretch your budget a bit. You do not need an amp.

This is the cheapest, but still good quality subwoofer you can find around (unless you can find a good used one): Energy - ESW-8 - Powered Subwoofer-Audio Advisor

The Xonar DX should be fine, but if you can stretch your budget even more, the D2X might be ideal.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 32
I currently have a Logitech Z-2300 Sub. Although not the greatest, would this be okay to use with those speakers?

Without a sub, would there be any similar alternatives I could take?

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 32
There are a couple of alternatives:

1. Get a desktop audio system. I use an old (circa 1998) Marantz desktop system to which I added a Polk subwoofer (under the desk). It is multiple times better than any computer speaker setup.

2. Use powered near field monitors. You can find them at places like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Zzounds, or Music 123. With those you would not use a subwoofer.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 32
Just another question before I recommend anything further:

Are you sure you want to buy A1? Isn't Audioinsider the only ones selling? I am fairly sure they sell to Canada only after charging a bunch of fees. You have to actually call them to ship to Canada, too. It's not on their website.

Also, what do you mean without a sub? You mean if we didn't have to consider a sub because of your Logicrap sub or because you want a solution without a sub at all?

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 32
I see. My apologies for my lack of research. If Audioinsider is the only one selling, all the fees would bring my way beyond the $200 point. I remember buying the Swan M10's and I basically paid $180 for them x_x.

Well, I would prefer a solution without a sub because my desk area itself is very small. However, if a sub can be bought + speakers for $200 give or take 50, I would prefer a 2.1 setup. I just really want similar sound to what my SR325i's give me.

@Ketysax: I've never heard of any of the places you named. Perhaps because I live in Canada in a small city =]

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 32
Not sure of good places to buy in Canada... sorry.

Try looking for places that sell AV40 or MS40. They are solid and not too expensive, but probably just right for you since Canada tends to impose alot of tariffs and whatnot.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 32
Paradigm, Ontario-Based Speaker Manufacturer, winner of more awards for the last 20 years than any other company. Been using Paradigm for about that long (18yrs.), IMO best price-performane ratio in the industry. Highly Recommended & right in your backyard, no-shipping = no-brainer. The Atom Monitors would be perfect. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Paradigm, Ontario-Based Speaker Manufacturer, winner of more awards for the last 20 years than any other company. Been using Paradigm for about that long (18yrs.), IMO best price-performane ratio in the industry. Highly Recommended & right in your backyard, no-shipping = no-brainer. The Atom Monitors would be perfect. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

I've never seen them anywhere around here before. They look amazing and expensive =]

I found the AV40's for $179.95 CDN with free shipping. Is that a decent pricepoint?

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 32
Hello Mystiyk

I just purchased some AudioEngine A2's for $209.xx Cnd on the weekend past. It was from the Mac Group in Ottawa. Check out the reviews on this set from the web page Soundstage.com to their own web site lists. I have been burning them for the past 4 days, and they are sounding better every day. I have been very impressed with all types of music that I am passing to them. I wonder if a sound card is worth the money since they stay in the PC they are in. Where as a USB Dac can move from PC to PC. BTW the A2's can be hooked up via 1/8 or RCA connections.

B
beyersmile.png

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 32
Try to get the A2 as advised by bikeboy999.

Also, the Paradigm Atom speakers (how the hell did I forget they are Canadian?) are amazing if you can get those as well.

How much is 179.95 CDN in USD? If it is like... 130-150, then that is a fair value purchase. If it is lower than 130, that's pretty good value purchase.

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #12 of 32
You're better off to get the A2's or the AV40's. The Paradigm Atom along with the Axiom M2 and the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 are much better speakers but are over your budget especially since you would also have to buy an amp to power them.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 32
With the Energy ESW-8 sub already being suggested, you could take a look at the other speakers Energy manufactures. I believe they are based in Canada also.

They are pretty large speakers for a desktop though.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 32
I like the look of the A2's. They seem small.

The AV40's would be around $150 USD.

I think I'll go with the Audioengine's. Do they need a sub? And is $240 CDN a reasonable price for it -after- shipping?

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the look of the A2's. They seem small.

The AV40's would be around $150 USD.

I think I'll go with the Audioengine's. Do they need a sub? And is $240 CDN a reasonable price for it -after- shipping?

Depends on how much of a bass head you are. If you are a Beyer type I would say no, If you are a AT, Grado fan I would say yes. I fall into the latter group and the bass is fine for my taste. I am listening to mine right now. It may vary by source though. Right now mine are computer->KingRex USB DAC->RCA->A2's. I am listening to Shinedown right now and the bass riffs and drums sound very clear.

As for the price I would say $240 CDN is spot on, since they go direct from AudioEngine at $199 US which with the conversion is $240 CDN as of today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back