Help me choose between AKG K 518LE, Audio Tech.ATH-WS55, Beyerdynamics DTX-501p
Oct 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

hamdib

New Head-Fier
Looking for a headphone to listen to R&B, Soul, Pop/Rock, Lounge, Trip-hop, Nu jazz, Chill-out on portable devices (nokia, iphone, ipad,etc.)Help me choose between AKG K 518LE, Audio Tech.ATH-WS55, Beyerdynamics DTX-501p

1) well built

2) portable (not necessarily pocketable)

3) have near hi-fi audio quality

4) price point up to 90 £ ( max. 100£)

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 14
I used to own a WS55 before. Although they will do fairly good with the genres you listed, they are better suited for electronic music and bass-heavy songs. Also, you might want to try them out first to see if you don't have problems with the treble (because I did). Unfortunately I haven't heard the other two headphones.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 14
AKG K 518LE have a lot of bass. Once broken in, I used a blue tack mod on the inside of the cups (VERY easy to do) to calm the bass a little and improve the bass SQ. Good headphones for around the $50 price point.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 14
The treble was harsh and caused fatigue over long periods of time. I actually find them to be very portable although it would've been cool if they folded up. I used them for jogging and gym until the cord got yanked when i was running on the treadmill. 

Oct 19, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 14
Beyerdynamic DTX-501 vs. AKG K518:

AKG K518: got ample amount of bass, pretty mids and a bit rolled off highs. Nice sub bass.
DTX501P: I got the impression of cleaner sound, better mids, brighter highs, less midbass and little rolled of sub bass. May work better for acoustic/classic music than K518, but still has enough thump for edm music. Despite brighter highs, not fatiguing. Just right.

DTX501P is much more comfortable.

This is my "first impressions" when I heard both of them side by side.

Oct 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks Headzone,  My music taste mostly focuses on acoustic pop (Tears for fears) and edm with soul touch (Everything but the girl) and some rock. (REM-U2)  I rarely listen classic music on the go.  I believe that beyerdynamic DTX-501p wont disappoint in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back