help me upgrade my portable gear
Jan 4, 2007 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
I been stuck with a poor portable setup for awhile now. I used to carry a backpack always and as such used the PCDP, Porta Corda and Ety ER4S to produce a quality sound. Ever since purchasing the IPOD mini, i place it in my pocket but only use the shure e2c with it. How can I improve the sound while maintaining portability and use as much of the same gear as possible.

Requirements: Something that will fit in my pocket, 6GB+ of music, works with my ER4S.

Current Gear: IPOD Mini 6GB, Ety ER4S (primary), Shure e2c and senn mx400(not used), Porta Corda(not used)

ideas: new dap? small amp? recommendation setup reqd.

Jan 4, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 6
I bought SAMSUNG YP_k5(4GB) and YP-T9(4GB). If you want excl sound quality(shows rich details in mids and clear highs with great bass on my SF5pro and E4c) then i will recomand these over any ipod and other compt. BTW yp-k5 new version which call yp-k3 4GB plus and YP-T9 8GB are coming soon(it's better if you wait until CES 2007).

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 6
You know, I would like to buy the yp-k3 4GB when it comes out just cause i like the look and size without external speakers. Thing is for me, my DAPS have to have user config EQ. I think these only have preset? couple months ago i played with the first models and could not find custom EQ. Course if i bought it i was going to remove the speakers. I hope the yp-k3 4GB has custom EQ.

Jan 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Finally, someone who actually owns a Samsung YP-T9! ZARIM, with regards to the YP-T9, can files be transferred via simple drag-n-drop or am I forced to use Samsung's software? If the latter, how efficient is the software and transfer speeds?

The reason I ask this is because I'm looking for a thin flash based DAP, preferably with 4GB or 8GB. I took a look at the Samsung T9 at their showroom and it was nice and slim. Unfortunately, the staff there were rather clueless and the sample unit could not be powered up. I'm not too worried about the interface, but am concerned about being forced to use software. The reason why I ask about transfer speed is because my iRiver iFP-795 takes 20 minutes to load up 500MB. I find this REAL slow.

The main downside with the Samsung is the price - the DAP is damn expensive here!! It retails for HK$ 1798, about US$ 230.

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 6
I have a YP-Z5 4gb.

- It sounds GREAT.
- Has drag-and-drop.
- Has custom eq.
- Can do OTG playlists.
- Has heaps of sorting/shuffle methods.
- Is thin as.
- And can view photo's on the beautiful colour screen.
- Has 40 hours battery life.

Most people criticize it on its navigation method, but IMO its not really that bad. In fact, I find it quite good.

Also, in future firmware upgrades Samsung has hinted that it may include video playback and .TXT file reading capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back