Help on headphone measurement techniques & setting up equipment w/ ARTA
May 28, 2015 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

money4me247

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys,

just wondering if any of the more experience measurement type fellows know of any really helpful resources that can help me with measurement technique protocols or making sure that all my equipment is calibrated correctly.

I am using ARTA and I've read BMF's ARTA set-up guide for beginners quite thoroughly and went through the ARTA user manual. Some of the jargon and technical points is unfamiliar to me which I think is impairing my understanding of the subject. I guess I am just still not 100% sure that I am doing everything correctly and I would like to learn how to improve. Also, looking for a forum/place where I can air noobie type questions without being blown off hahah.

Referrals, links, advice, and any other general information would be much appreciated! Feel free to PM me privately as well. Thanks :)

Cheers!

May 29, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 6
I have a basic ARTA setup that I've never got around to calibrating properly.  I most just use it for CSDs so absolute levels haven't been important.  When I get a chance I'll look though BMF's guide.

Did you have any specific questions or some results that you thought were weird?

May 29, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 6
@maverickronin,

Yup I have read through his guide multiple times and found it to be extremely helpful! three specific questions currently that I do not feel like I still do not understand well enough.

1) Just curious about what should be the typical voltmeter readings (especially if any other users have the Steinburg UR22).

2) In ARTA, when calibrating interface/soundcard's full scale input, I've found that every time you estimate the max input mV for the soundcard's full scale input, the estimated Max Input mV changes after consecutive runs. Is that normal? Anyone with any tell me what is going on here? I would have expected the result to remain the same.

3) I understand that distortion levels can vary drastically with different usb interface gain settings and amplifier gain settings/volume levels. how would would do I calculate the ideal settings for my specific equipment for each pair of headphones? want to try to further my understanding on the background information pertaining to this subject as well, so any links or resources would be greatly appreciated.

thank you for taking the time to respond!!

May 29, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Those are the kinds of problems I've been having too.  I've been meaning to go through it all more thoroughly so I can measure calibrated FRs and get accurate distortion plots but I've never gotten around to it.

When I get the time I'll read BMF's guide and compare that to what I've been doing and see what I come up with.

May 29, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 6
  Those are the kinds of problems I've been having too.  I've been meaning to go through it all more thoroughly so I can measure calibrated FRs and get accurate distortion plots but I've never gotten around to it.

When I get the time I'll read BMF's guide and compare that to what I've been doing and see what I come up with.

thank you so much!! I would really appreciate it :)

May 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I'll let you know when I get to it.  It's one of those thing I keep putting off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back