Help please. Sound you can feel?
Feb 20, 2013 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

April2Ari

New Head-Fier
What headphones would you recommend for these types of songs:

Miguel Jontel "The Thrill" (anything else by him too), Kings of Leon "Closer", Alex Clare "Too Close", Nero "Promises", Enya "Only Time", and Dido "Here with Me" :

Miguel- The Thrill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ec_83itPVM

Kings of Leon- Closer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3F4zpOdK8

Alex Clare- Too Close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctw33uKAjJI

Nero- Promises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llDikI2hTtk

Enya- Only Time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bH-z6Dko4

Dido- Here with me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSu5nAQ7uZw

They all have an ethereal echo feel to them in a way. I was wondering which headphones would bring that out best? I am trying to figure out what type I should buy, that would bring out the vocals, without sacrificing other components. I recently bought a pair of headphones that pumped up the bass and muted everything else and made it sound far away, which wasn't what I was looking for...soo I definitely need some help.

I have seen a lot of recommendations for Sennheiser, Denon, and Audio-Technica on this forum...would that be the way to go? Or would you get something else?

I am new to this, but the things I am hoping to find in a set of headphones are:

- $300 or $500 range...if it's worth it

- encompassing sound where it consumes you and makes it feel like you're in it
(not sure what to call that)

- closed back would probably be better, since I have a roommate...but it doesn't have to be completely noise canceling

- full size, no earbuds

- vocals intensified, without other areas sacrificed (such as drums, guitar, or other instruments)

- makes you get lost in the music

- brings out/intensifies the type of songs I listed above

I would really appreciate some suggestions! I don't have any particular brand pinned down yet, so if you know of a good match that's of a different brand than I mentioned above, please mention it :) hopefully what I tried to explain made sense. Haha feel free to ask more specific questions if you have some ideas :)

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 14
Has anyone heard about or tried the Sennheiser HD598? Would that be the best fit for that type of music, or is there a better option/model/brand?

file://localhost/Users/Guest1/Desktop/HD_598_new_intro.jpg

Their website says:

1. $249.95
  2. E.A.R. technology
  1. Exceptional clarity and musicality
  2. Premium beige and burl wood finish
  3. Excellent connectivity
  4. Best detail and audiophile experience in the 500 series
  5. With Sennheiser‘s innovative E.A.R. technology, audio is channeled directly into your ears. These headphones also incorporate a special DuoFol diaphragm geometry that minimizes inter-mod distortion while delivering an impressive frequency response range. The rest and response time of the transducer equates to a comfortable, detailed listening experience that will allow you to rediscover your music collection, even over the longest listening sessions.

Tech Data:
Frequency response (headphones) 12-38,500 Hz
Wearing style Around-the-ear
Impedance 50 ohms
Connector 1/4 inch (6.3mm)
Cable length 10 ft, detachable (single sided)
Transducer principle Open-Aire
Total harmonic distortion <0.1%
Weight (w/o cable) 9.52 ounces (225 g)
Total SPL 112 dB
UPC code 615104187733
EAN code 4044155056082
Dimensions (single) 8.07 x 3.94 x 9.45 in
Weight (single) 1.42 lbs
Dimensions (master carton) 16.81 x 13.66 x 10.51 in
Weight (master carton) 10.5 lbs
Master carton quantity 6

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi April,

Senn 598s meet most of your requirements. They have an immersive soundstage with slightly forward mids that make vocals a delight. However, they are not closed, meaning if you listen to your music at high volumes, your roommate will suffer from sound leakage.

If you're okay with that, I'd be comfortable making the recommendation.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 14
Thank you so much for the feedback! What about Sennheiser Momentum (I think they're around $350)? How does it compare to the Senn HD598? Based on that song list, which would be more fitting between the two? If anyone has other ideas, I am still not pinned to anything specific.

My understanding is that the Senn Momentum's are phenomenal compared to the Senn HD598's...is that true? Or does it depend on the type of music you're listening to?

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 14
Why the HD598's and not the HD650's?

The HD650's are well within your price range.

Really warm sounding headphones, with a smooth (but not overly) rolled off treble. The midrange on the HD650's are sheer delight.

You would however need a decent amp to run them. I'm not sure if you're planning to run your headphones off an amp or not.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Thank you so much for the feedback! What about Sennheiser Momentum (I think they're around $350)? How does it compare to the Senn HD598? Based on that song list, which would be more fitting between the two? If anyone has other ideas, I am still not pinned to anything specific.

My understanding is that the Senn Momentum's are phenomenal compared to the Senn HD598's...is that true? Or does it depend on the type of music you're listening to?

I strongly prefer the 598s to the Momentums, and they are much more suited for the music you listen to.

HE-400s are open. You will want an amp to drive them if you end up getting a pair of orthos, which likely puts them at a touch over $500.

Mad Dogs are closed. If you're willing to spend the money, consider the Paradox as well. :) Absolutely fantastic, didn't recommend at first because it's over budget when you factor in an amp. http://referencesounds.com/paradox.html

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 14
You're helping narrow it down so much. Thanks again :) I am solely buying this pair based on the music list above. I plan on adding to the collection though, so the other suggestions are great! It's sounding like the 598's are the way to go for that genre. I would love to get the Hifiman HE400's or possibly Paradox at some point...but if the 598's sound like a perfect match, then I'll probably start with that. I have an amp, but I plan on using this pair for traveling as well, so that isn't a major factor in this purchase...more so, I am focused on the best headphone fit for the genre (within the price range, that doesn't require an amp). Another thread mentioned Senn Amperior's as being better...do you know anything about them? Or would you still lean towards the 598's?

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Hopefully when you say traveling, you don't mean walking around with them. The stock 598 cable is 10' long if memory serves me right. You can braid it, but it's still quite heavy to be lugging around. If you mean traveling as in while sitting down/at hotels and stuff, then that's perfectly okay.

I gave the Amperiors a listen and thought they were pleasant, but my head is on the larger side and the clamping force made them highly uncomfortable. Didn't spend a lot of time, I'm probably not the best person to ask about them.

For the ~$200-$250 price range, I think you won't find a pairing that's better for the videos you listed.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 14
Haha definitely not meaning walking around, but rather traveling overseas and coast to coast. Music fuels me, so I need to be able to take it with me. If this pair wasn't primarily for traveling, I would definitely opt for an amp pairing with one of those other models. You all really clarified a lot though, so thank you :) If anyone has feedback about the Senn Amperior's in comparison to the 598's, please let me know :)

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT990 (open) is the best all rounder and amazingly comfortable.  $200 250OHM Amazon

Semi-open DT880 ~$350

If you want closed, then give the DT770 a try. $200 80, 250 OHMs

The Beyerdynamic have the best sounding headphones ever IMHO.

Hope I helped.

Feb 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 14
The new Soundmagic HP200 looks nice but the Sennheiser HD 598's are also a good bet.

Whatever you choose factor in an amp of some sort, something like the Fiio E7k gives good bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back