Help/Recommendation Request - Was almost about to buy custom 64 Audio A18t Tzars, but now having second thoughts...
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sleeping_citizens

Head-Fier
Bit of background first - I've been an Etymotic ER4/Sennheiser HD600 kind of guy for the past decade. I love detail/imaging/soundstage/depth, with a neutral landscape as a foundation (though I love some extra bass every now and then). I also recently purchased Campfire Audio Andromedas and have been absolutely blown away by them. They're almost exactly what I've always wanted in a headphone/IEM. I'm interested in IEMs due to my work setup and not being able to use open-back over-ears/not yet found a great closed-back, though I most likely am also going to get the Sennheiser 820s when they come out (I heard them at CanJam and WOW, even with the noise floor at the conference, those closed-backs sounded fantastic).

As much as I love my ER4XRs and Andromedas, I get easily fatigued and feel radial compression from foam/silicone tips within an hour or two. I have gigantic ear canals that require large eartips at the very least (I only use medium tips on Etymotics since they go so far into the ear canal). At work, I typically have IEMs on for 80% of the day. With that in mind, I've been thinking of purchasing some kind of CEIM, and heard so many great things via online reviews and from a co-worker who owns the universal version about the new A18t Tzars by 64 Audio. I dig the concept of the tia drivers and the custom molds, in conjunction with the apex system, is of great interest to me. I hoping to find something where I'm able to wear a pair of C/IEMs for 4+ hours and not worry about or at least reduce the amount of radial pressure pain/overall listening fatigue.

I was hours away from ordering the A18ts when my co-worker friend finally brought in his universal versions to work so I could give them a solid several hour test run. Did they sound great? Absolutely! I especially loved having two different sound possibilities with the apex modules and I noticed I wasn't as fatigued after two continuous listening hours. I still got radial pressure after an hour of use due to the eartips, though. So they sound great, but...were they $2,000+ dollars better than my Andromedas? I don't know. Maybe not. I wasn't able to A/B with my Andromedas because we swapped IEMs for the day, but when we switched back and I listened to my Andromedas, I really couldn't think of something that my Andromedas were seriously lacking.

So, my question is - If you were going to get customs, what would you do if you had a budget to get something like custom Tzars? Is there anything you consider comparable or even better (within or under the price tag of the Tzars)? Would you perhaps get several IEMs instead of one custom Tzar to help expand the types of sonic vibes available? Which ones? Are there any other IEM companies that make CIEMs with a similar apex system?

Thanks, in advance, everybody. Appreciate ya'll, papa bless.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Could you perhaps look at custom tips for the Andromeda? I’ve heard that it’s possible if you ask.

I was able to try part of the 64Audio line recently, and while I thought the U18 Tzar and especially the Tia Fourte sounded amazing, I personally wouldn’t be able to justify a 3.5-4.5x price difference over a B-stock Andromeda. (That said, if you’re planning to use these IEMs 30-40 hours a week, then maybe diminishing returns is less of an issue.)

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 5
Could you perhaps look at custom tips for the Andromeda? I’ve heard that it’s possible if you ask.

I was able to try part of the 64Audio line recently, and while I thought the U18 Tzar and especially the Tia Fourte sounded amazing, I personally wouldn’t be able to justify a 3.5-4.5x price difference over a B-stock Andromeda. (That said, if you’re planning to use these IEMs 30-40 hours a week, then maybe diminishing returns is less of an issue.)

Thanks for the suggestion! Custom tips for the Andromeda was an idea my friend brought up today as well. Do you know of any custom tip companies? The only company I found so far that makes compatible customs is a UK company called Snugs (I'm USA based). I wonder if custom eartips have a positive or negative effect on the Andromedas...gotta research.

I felt the same way after spending a few hours with the Tzar. I just like their apex system combined with a custom mold. If only I knew someone who had U12Ts so I could get an idea about their quality before jumping on A12T...

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestion! Custom tips for the Andromeda was an idea my friend brought up today as well. Do you know of any custom tip companies? The only company I found so far that makes compatible customs is a UK company called Snugs (I'm USA based). I wonder if custom eartips have a positive or negative effect on the Andromedas...gotta research.

I felt the same way after spending a few hours with the Tzar. I just like their apex system combined with a custom mold. If only I knew someone who had U12Ts so I could get an idea about their quality before jumping on A12T...

I remember reading somewhere that you can email Campfire Audio for custom eartips, but I don’t think I’ve seen a review of them anywhere.

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 5
Once you’ve found a headphone/iem you love I say hang on to that sucker and never let it go no matter the price, I have been through so many iems and headphones just to land back at the HD650. Even though I got to experience a lot which I appreciate I also lost a lot of money.

My best advice to you is find someone that will make custom tips for your andromedas and spend the rest on a better source or more music and just love the andromedas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back