Help--was I sent the correct tube?
Jun 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hodgjy

Headphoneus Supremus
I ordered a Svetlana "Winged C" 6H13C power tube.  A shipment came today.  However, I'm not sure I got the tube I thought I was supposed to get.  The tube came in an original box, with a "Winged C" logo on it with a date of 1984.  But, the tube in the box did not have a "Winged C" logo on it and had a date of 1985 on it.

Based on pictures of the "Winged C" tubes, there should have been a C logo on mine.  I know a lot of rebadging goes on, so I want to avoid getting a Sovtek tube, which the Svetlana is supposed to best in many ways.

So, did I experience a case of "switcheroo" or is this just natural variation of the same product coming out of the old USSR?  I sent the company an email, but since it's the weekend, I won't hear back for a few days.

Thanks.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 16
Where did it come from?

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 16
thetubestore.com

I'm a little confused with labeling.  I understand Sovtek told this same tube under their name, but also had an inferior version of their own tube in the 6AS7 flavor.  The Tubestore also sells two versions of this 6H13C tube, one is the Winged C version, and the other is just no-label Russian tube.  They both have the same description and said both are made by SED, but the Winged C version costs more.  I have no idea if you are paying a premium just for the logo, or if it really is in fact a different tube.  If it's a better tube, then I feel good about the transaction.  If you are paying more just for the logo, then I didn't get what I paid for.  Sonically, if they are the same, I don't really care, but it's the principle behind it all.  

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 16
You should be fine. I have a Winged C from them. They are good to do business with.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks.  Although, I still am confused as to what it really means to be a Winged C and why the box and tube I got have different dates.  

Does a Winged C have to have the logo?  Or, can a Winged C tube be missing the logo and still be considered as the Winged C?

I bought from the Tubestore before and trust them.  I'm just not understanding the labeling convention here, so it's more of my own ignorance than it is me doubting I got the right tube.

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 16
WARNING WARNING One must really purchase NOS tubes or new or used tubes from a reliable source or individual seller......You don't always get what you are willing to pay for, Like brand, etc...etc  I've only been burnt one time in the 15 to 20 yrs I've been into tubes and it was from a supposedly reputable dealer.......The dude from calf. who claims he has all equipment in stock and never uses your amps to test tubes......Do you know who I mean?? He advertised "Tungsols"6384s and sent me "Cetrons"  A huge difference in tube quality, then proceeded to tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about!!! Thanks but no thanks KEVIN D........So Hodgjy get ahold of the seller and don't take crap from these sellers of fake or branded tubes!

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 16
Based on pictures and what I've read, I'm 100% sure I bought a tube made by SED.  I'm just confused as to what makes one SED tube a Winged C and another SED tube a non-Wing C.  The Wing C cost a little more.  I'm not all worried about any sonic differences as they are supposedly the same tube.  I just want to know why one costs more and if I really got the tube I paid extra for.

Quote:
WARNING WARNING One must really purchase NOS tubes or new or used tubes from a reliable source or individual seller......You don't always get what you are willing to pay for, Like brand, etc...etc  I've only been burnt one time in the 15 to 20 yrs I've been into tubes and it was from a supposedly reputable dealer.......The dude from calf. who claims he has all equipment in stock and never uses your amps to test tubes......Do you know who I mean?? He advertised "Tungsols"6384s and sent me "Cetrons"  A huge difference in tube quality, then proceeded to tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about!!! Thanks but no thanks KEVIN D........So Hodgjy get ahold of the seller and don't take crap from these sellers of fake or branded tubes!

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 16
For example, what is the difference between these two tubes?

http://thetubestore.com/sed6as7g.html

http://thetubestore.com/russian6h13c.html

I'm literally stumped.  But, there has to be a reason why the store listed them separately at different prices.  I don't care about the few dollar difference.  I just want to know what really is going on here.

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
For example, what is the difference between these two tubes?

The logo.  That is the difference.  No other difference.

And IMHO, neither is near as good as even the GE 6AS7GA, which you can get for less than $8 each at www.tubesandmore.com

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks.  And seeing as how I paid more for the logo and didn't get it, I'll be asking for a partial refund.  I didn't buy the tube because of the logo--I bought it because I wanted to avoid an unknown, unnamed tube.  I had no idea they were the same tube.

I'll look into that GE tube.  Although, so far I like the Russian tube.  It's better than the Sylvania 7236.  That tube is too solid state like for my tastes.

Quote:
The logo.  That is the difference.  No other difference.

And IMHO, neither is near as good as even the GE 6AS7GA, which you can get for less than $8 each at www.tubesandmore.com

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 16
I always thought the 7236 was a bit sterile sounding, too. Those GE's will be more on the warm and tubey side.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 16
What's the bass extension on the GE tube?  The one thing going for the 7236 is it goes as low as my source can go--probably down to 20 hz.  The other tubes I've tried don't go down that low.  I really like the Russian tube so far because it is smooth and has good bass extension, although not as low as the 7236.  But, it does go lower than the 6080, which I've found to be a slow and sloppy tube so far.  The Russian tube seems to hold things together as well as the 7236, but does it with more warmth.

Quote:
I always thought the 7236 was a bit sterile sounding, too. Those GE's will be more on the warm and tubey side.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Decent, as I recall.  The GE 6AS7GA is far from my favorite 6AS7G - that would be the GEC UK-made 6AS7G/A1834, closely followed by the 5998 (although the 5998 is NOT a drop-in replacement for the 6AS7G, it works well in most amps).  There are lots of other  6AS7G's I like better, too - the Tung-Sol ones especially.  But the Russian tubes are actually my least favorite, other than many of the 6080's.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 16
Well, for $8 I will definitely have to try the GE 6AS7GA.  Your posts steered me to the JAN Sylvania 6DJ8, which I like very much. 

BTW, what don't you like about the Russian tube?  There's always the odd chance that I might like a sound that you don't
darthsmile.gif

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 16
Just in case anyone was wondering, the seller did agree that the tube they sent me was the wrong tube.  Well, it was the wrong tube only because the one with the logo costs more than the non-logo one.  They are the same actual tube inside.  They refunded the difference no questions asked.

Simple mistake.  Simple solution.  Happy customer.  Will shop there again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back