Help with buying new over-ears
Oct 14, 2020 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kasionz

New Head-Fier
I posted this elsewhere but thought you guys could help more?

----
Advice on purchase please, entering audiophile territory, massive music lover but couldn't afford a good pair previously. Budget has opened up..
  • Budget - £800 flexible (UK)
  • Source - Samsung S20 U
  • Requirements for Isolation - Using at home with roomates so some/no isolation?
  • Will you be using these Headphones in Public? - no
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - over-ear / in-ear
  • Preferred tonal balance - strong clear highs. Also some bass (but not a must).
  • Past headphones - Currently own M50 x (which I think is a bit quiet on high notes and leaks a lot at full volume), jaybirds X3 (fave pair) & galaxy buds + (nice but not as loud as X3 imo?)
  • Preferred Music - RnB 90's divas a la Whitney/Mariah, Pop, Chill RnB with hip-hop bassy production
  • What would you like to improve on from your set-up - I really just want a great pair that I can use exclusively for music (clearly have others for gaming,commute etc) that highlights the best intricate details of my songs. I listen to music quite loudly & pay attention to production, lyrics and love high notes/belts. I also enjoy listening to background vocals and harmonies hidden behind main vocals. Features like noise cancellation or mic don't matter to me.. but I guess if they're wired i'll have to get a usb-c adapter as my phone doesn't have an audio jack & I know wired is better than BT...?

Edit: I want to add that i've been looking at momentum 3's (sounds too bass heavy?), PX7, Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee, Sony MDrz7,audeze el-8 but not sure which meets my needs the best? Please feel free to recommend others. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 8
You're going to be relatively limited with your source, unless you plan to use an amp. My recommendation would be the Audio Technica ath Msr7b. Great sound at a great price. Treble / high mids are fantastic. Detailed, extended, and spacious. Bass is neutral, but it hits when the track calls for it. Maybe do some research on it. If you want to spend a little more, take a look at the Audio Technica ath-wp900. The mids are a little recessed in comparison, but they have great bass, and the similar treble that Audio Technica is known for. These sound wider and deeper with a little better resolution.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 8
You're going to be relatively limited with your source, unless you plan to use an amp. My recommendation would be the Audio Technica ath Msr7b. Great sound at a great price. Treble / high mids are fantastic. Detailed, extended, and spacious. Bass is neutral, but it hits when the track calls for it. Maybe do some research on it. If you want to spend a little more, take a look at the Audio Technica ath-wp900. The mids are a little recessed in comparison, but they have great bass, and the similar treble that Audio Technica is known for. These sound wider and deeper with a little better resolution.
Thanks very much! Any recommendations for a portable amp for wired headphones? I clearly have some reading to do.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't have much experience with portable amps, but this new Xduoo release looks pretty good - decent price too. It also depends on which headphones you end up with to determine how much much power you need to bring out the full potential of the headphones. It would power the 58X nicely. 58X is a killer headphone, very hard to beat for the cost.
If you could provide some additional characteristics you desire from the headphones, it would be helpful.

Oct 15, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Screenshot_20201014-210613.png

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 8
I'm seriously considering the msr7bs as I'm seeing overwhelming positive reviews online, seems like a decent upgrade from the m50x's.

Thinking of pairing with the Fiio Q5s, would that be a good choice? i'm interested in the bluetooth capability of that amp - i'll do some reading on how it compares to the xp2 you referenced.

How do I know what amps go well with headphones?

Oct 16, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm seriously considering the msr7bs as I'm seeing overwhelming positive reviews online, seems like a decent upgrade from the m50x's.

Thinking of pairing with the Fiio Q5s, would that be a good choice? i'm interested in the bluetooth capability of that amp - i'll do some reading on how it compares to the xp2 you referenced.

How do I know what amps go well with headphones?
The Fiio should be fine. If you want to keep the original sound of the Msr7b as closely as possible, go for a neutral sounding amp... Something relatively flat. I liked them a lot with a slightly warmer source. I'd recommend buying the headphones 1st, and giving them a listen. Then do some research on a few amps you're interested in to tailor the sound to your desires. Definitely try the headphones 1st - you may decide you don't need an amp. You won't need a super powerful one, but it also may be nice to have should you decide to purchase some more power hungry headphones in the future. As for the Msr7b, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a hard headphone to not like. If you do get an amp, make sure it has a 2.5mm balanced connection. This way you can take advantage of the balanced option that the Msr7b offers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back