Help with differences in power tubes and signal tubes sound changes!
May 5, 2022 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ludvux

New Head-Fier
Hello I'm a new member of the head-fi forums, I've been scouring the forums for answers regarding differences in tubes/valves.

My main question is: sonically, what is the difference in power tubes and signal tubes, I understand that the power tubes supply power to the amplifier, but do they also change the sound significantly?

The tube rolling guide for the little dot mk3 is extensive and amazing (linked below) but it doesn't really say anything about power tubes.

Help me head-fi kenobi, you're my only hope!

Little dot tube rolling guide
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide.563884/

May 5, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 6
The impact various tubes have on any given amp depends entirely on the design of the amp. For example, in my previous OTL the driver tubes played a large role in the overall sound, whereas on my current OTL the driver tubes have a more subtle impact on the sound.

The question should be asked in the thread you linked above.

May 5, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 6
The impact various tubes have on any given amp depends entirely on the design of the amp. For example, in my previous OTL the driver tubes played a large role in the overall sound, whereas on my current OTL the driver tubes have a more subtle impact on the sound.

The question should be asked in the thread you linked above.
Thank you, that was really helpful, and like with everything in this hobby, not really helpful 😉 thank you anyhow, tubes seems like a very deep hobby to get into 🙂

May 5, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 6
May 5, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, im not an amp builder or anything similar to be able to give you a more thorough explanation. I have however had several tube amps, mostly of the OTL kind, Perhaps this post can give you a better explanation on the hows and whys there are dramatic differences from one amp design to the next.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-atrium-new-open-back-co-flagship.962609/page-40#post-16946383
Thanks again, newbie me hadnt gone through the comments on the "guide" too well, whoops. I'll check out your link

May 8, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 6
In my experience with a few tube amps, if the amp sounds good, it'll do that with pretty much any (high quality, not dead/out of spec etc) tubes. So if you like the sound, and want have some fun, get some tubes to roll and get you own experience. If you don't like the sound of an amp, it is better to move along.

As mentioned above, the effect of changing preamp or power tubes will vary across different amps and depend on the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back