Help with IEMs for A&K SR25
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Margentina71

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Completely new to this but have been looking through the forums here for a couple of days and finding a whole new world opening up! Hoping to pick the brains of those with much more knowledge. I got an A&K SR25 a couple of years ago as a birthday present (it was one of those ending in zero) but feel I haven't got the best out of it as I don't have the finances for anything too expensive earbud wise. Am now in a position to spend a little more money, probably up to around the £300 mark and a look around has left me with a current shortlist of:

Thieaudio Hype2
7HZ Timeless
Shure Aonic 3
Letshuoer S12 Pro
Sennheiser IE200
Moondrop Kato
Sony WF-1000XM5

Hoping someone has direct experience with one or some of these with an SR25 or can add to the list with those they've used. They will be in part used for public transport commute so noise cancellation is high up the list (I have read the comment on the buying guide for newbies though!). My current earbuds are a cheap and cheerful 1more triple driver which are a bit quiet on the SR25 so expecting any of the above to be a considerable upgrade. I generally listen to guitar bands - recent purchases include The National, PJ Harvey, Slowdive and like the sound to be slightly bass heavy. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 11
Most of the IEMs you noted are wired and only provide passive vs. active noise cancellation. For me, personally, this is enough--I do about 20+ flights a year with wired IEMs, and the isolation is more than enough to combat engine noise. From your list, I've heard the IE200 (also 300, 600, 900), and owned the S12 Pro and Timeless. The Timeless is something you should try because the fit is big and can be uncomfortable. It has more detail than the others I mentioned but it can also sound unnatural.

Sep 12, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi,

Completely new to this but have been looking through the forums here for a couple of days and finding a whole new world opening up! Hoping to pick the brains of those with much more knowledge. I got an A&K SR25 a couple of years ago as a birthday present (it was one of those ending in zero) but feel I haven't got the best out of it as I don't have the finances for anything too expensive earbud wise. Am now in a position to spend a little more money, probably up to around the £300 mark and a look around has left me with a current shortlist of:

Thieaudio Hype2
7HZ Timeless
Shure Aonic 3
Letshuoer S12 Pro
Sennheiser IE200
Moondrop Kato
Sony WF-1000XM5

Hoping someone has direct experience with one or some of these with an SR25 or can add to the list with those they've used. They will be in part used for public transport commute so noise cancellation is high up the list (I have read the comment on the buying guide for newbies though!). My current earbuds are a cheap and cheerful 1more triple driver which are a bit quiet on the SR25 so expecting any of the above to be a considerable upgrade. I generally listen to guitar bands - recent purchases include The National, PJ Harvey, Slowdive and like the sound to be slightly bass heavy. Thanks in advance for any guidance!
i wouldn't go for the kato or timeless new, as they are very common, and are widely available second hand (just make sure to get new tips) secondhand could be the way to go

Sep 13, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 11
Most of the IEMs you noted are wired and only provide passive vs. active noise cancellation. For me, personally, this is enough--I do about 20+ flights a year with wired IEMs, and the isolation is more than enough to combat engine noise. From your list, I've heard the IE200 (also 300, 600, 900), and owned the S12 Pro and Timeless. The Timeless is something you should try because the fit is big and can be uncomfortable. It has more detail than the others I mentioned but it can also sound unnatural.
Thanks for the reply - would you mind letting me know your opinion on the S12 please?

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the reply - would you mind letting me know your opinion on the S12 please?
S12 was super fun with really nice bass impact. Versus the Timeless, the S12 had better timbre but worse detail retrieval. Still, a lot of fun and I kept it over the Timeless until I got the Penon Serial.

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 11
S12 was super fun with really nice bass impact. Versus the Timeless, the S12 had better timbre but worse detail retrieval. Still, a lot of fun and I kept it over the Timeless until I got the Penon Serial.
Cheers - much appreciated. I am leaning towards the S12, although as one of the newbie posts pointed out, I'm just starting off with this stuff and all of them are probably a huge upgrade on what I have used before! Currently wading through the SR25 thread, there's so much info on here...my evening is about to disappear.

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 11
If you know what type of sound you enjoy, that can help you figure out where to start. S12 I'd definitely describe as v-shaped. So is the Penon Fan, which sounds more natural but feels... slow versus the S12?

One thing I'd recommend staying away from is the Z12. It looks good on graphs but loses all the fun vs. the original, in my opinion.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 11
i wouldn't go for the kato or timeless new, as they are very common, and are widely available second hand (just make sure to get new tips) secondhand could be the way to go
here are some of the iems you mentioned second hand in the UK:
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=shure+aonic+3
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=moondrop+kato
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=7hz+timeless
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=letshuoer+s12+pro
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=thieaudio+hype+2
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=sennheiser+ie200
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=Sony+WF-1000XM5

Hifishark is a really useful way to find audio gear second hand across multiple sites, i use it all the time.

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Hi,

Thieaudio Hype2
7HZ Timeless
Shure Aonic 3
Letshuoer S12 Pro
Sennheiser IE200
Moondrop Kato
Sony WF-1000XM5

Hype2 is quite good. It’s essentially the ThieAudio Monarch II with better bass but less detail.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 11
This is really helpful, looks like a great resource (not sure my other half is entirely in agreement though, she's already getting a sense of impending spendthriftery!) - appreciate you taking the time to find these.

Sep 17, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Went for the S12s and wrote a post earlier bemoaning the lack of fit - only to realise that was down to me and my stupidity, rather than me and my ears. All good now I think, though they will take some getting used to, sound is excellent but my ears are aching a little!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back